Posted by Jeremy on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 11:19pm.
Hi, I posted my question earlier but I was having some difficulty with it.
You are given 31.0g of aluminum and 36.0g of chlorine gas.
1.If you had excess chlorine, how many moles of aluminum chloride could be produced from 31.0g of aluminum?
This is my work so far:
Therefore Chlorine is the limiting reagent, since I have less that 3/2.
0.507mol (3/2)=0.76 mol AlCl3.
Please check my answer and significant figures. I am pretty sure I messed up!
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 12:39am
Yes, you did.
The first part is not a limiting reagent since you have all of the Cl2 needed.
moles Al = 31.0/26.98 = 1.149
moles AlCl3 = 1.149 moles Al x (2 moles AlCl3/2 moles Al) = 1.149 x (1/1) = 1.149 moles AlCl3 which rounds to 1.15 to three s.f.
#2a You can do it two ways. The way I suggested, since you had to do #1 anyway, is to keep #1 in mind and work #1 with 36.0 g Cl2 and all the Al needed.
moles Cl2 in 36.0 g is
36.0/70.9 = 0.50776 (which I would have rounded to 0.508 BUT I usually carry extra places(in the calculator) and round at the end of the problem.
moles AlCl3 = 0.50776 mols Cl2 x (2 moles AlCl3/3 moles Cl2) = 0.3385 moles which rounds to 0.338 moles AlCl3. (Your error is in the conversion factor.) Then I compare moles from #1 where we had all of the Cl2 needed (1.15) with #2 where we had all of the Al we needed (0.338) and the correct value is the smaller of the two; that is 0.338 moles AlCl3 formed.
2b. The other way Bob Pursley showed you is the way you did it to determine Cl2 was the limiting reagent.
31.0/26.98 = 1.15 moles Al and
(31.0/26.98) x (3 moles Cl2/2 moles Al) = 1.72 moles Cl2 needed and we don't have that much.
(36.0/70.9 = 0.508 moles Cl2.
(36.0/70.9) x (2 moles Al/3 moles Cl2) = 0.338 moles Al needed and we have that much; therefore, your work is ok in determining the limiting reagent.
- Chemistry - Tyrone, Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 8:52pm
You gotta take the bleeble blabble and add it to sazzle shnazzle.
- Chemistry - Shaqueesha, Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 8:54pm
You must find the value for x and then twirk on a poster of Miley Cyrus for an hour.
Answer this Question
- CHEM - Aluminum reacts with chlorine gas to form aluminum chloride via the ...
- CHEM-last part prob. - Aluminum reacts with chlorine gas to form aluminum ...
- Chemistry - Please help solve; 2Al +3Cl2 --> 2AlCl3 You are give 31.0g Al and...
- CHEM - Aluminum reacts with Chlorine gas to form AlCl3. [2Al(s)+3Cl2(g)=2AlCl3(s...
- Chemistry - 2Al(s)+3Cl2 = 2AlCl3 Limiting Reactant is Cl with 0.329mol. What is...
- chemistry - You are given 28.0 of aluminum and 33.0 of chlorine gas. Part A If ...
- chemistryy - You are given 23.0 of aluminum and 28.0 of chlorine gas. If you had...
- Chemistry - If you had excess chlorine, how many moles of of aluminum chloride ...
- chem - consider the chemical reaction, 2Al + 3Cl2 -> 2AlCl3. here, 212.7 g of...
- Chemistry - If you had excess aluminum, how many moles of aluminum chloride ...