Posted by Janet on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 4:59pm.
Need help with Synecdoche is a "figure of speech" in which a part is used for a whole, or the reverse. Please help with the following especially with School and Hand. This is what I have so far. Thanks!
1) Jackson has a strong arm: Meaning is, Throws well?
2) Joe has a good eye at the plate:Meaning is,Sees things good at the field?
3) School: Meaning is building of education?
4)Hand: meaning is, Palm, fist or shaker?
I stuck with school and hand. I have no idea how to translation these two.
English - Writeacher, Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 5:48pm
Read through the examples in the lists here. Let us know what you decide.
English - bobpursley, Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 5:49pm
Hand: A sailor on a ship, as in All Hands on deck.
School: Meaning to teach, to educate: School your children in the art of politeness.
Remember, the word refers to a part used for the whole, or the reverse.
a good eye: his judgement on the strike zone is excellent.
strong arm: Need more context, but arm is refering to significant part of whole, so in the baseball context, a strong thrower, but in this instance: The producer used his strong arm to sign Lada Gaga to the part.
Now, synecdoche is just not part for whole, it can be place for event, and other things.
English - Janet, Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 8:23pm
Thank you guys so much!!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - 1) If you listen to a normal conversation in English you will realise ...
- English - 1.What figure of speech is this? I think it is personification "Death ...
- speech - Can you please help me out with a speech? I'm in 10th grade at High ...
- English -Part of speech - Can someone please help? I have a list word I need to ...
- American Lit.(Poetry) - I need to find these in this poem: 1.Apostrophe:The ...
- Gifted+Talented English-(Figurative Speech Poetry) - Our assignment is to write ...
- english - I need help with this prose speech introduction. I have this story ...
- English - 1. I have a different teacher for each subject. (What is the part of ...
- English; grammar - Could you please tell me if I have properly identified the ...
- English - help - Which figure of speech os exemplified by lines 149-151 of the ...