Posted by M.A. on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 8:16am.
Andy and William work together to build a toy house. It will take William 5 hours and Andy 4 hours, or William 10 hours and Andy 2 hours to finish their work. If William works alone, how many hours will it take to finish his work?
Explain how you arrived at the answer.
math word problem - Dr Russ, Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 10:43am
There are two ways to do this, as a logic problem or as an algebra problem
If it will take William 5 hours and Andy 4 hours, or William 10 hours and Andy 2 hours to finish their work, then each decrease in time by Andy of 2 hours results in 5 more hours of work by William. So if Andy's work goes to zero then there will be 5 more hours of work required by William, so
10h + 5 h = 15 h.
By algebra if we say that the rate of work by William is x and that by Andy is y then
5x+4y=T Total task .....1
subtract 1 from 2
15x=T, so it takes William 15 h
math word problem - M.A., Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 10:55am
Thank you Dr. Russ. I am so thrilled with your answer. It is the first time I have had an answer that I can truly understand and comprehend, being a math-challenged individual. Thank you sooo much for your careful and complete explanation!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Andy and William work together to build a toy house. It will take William...
- Answer Check Please - Andy and William work together to build a toy house. It ...
- math - William earns $13 an hour working at a movie theater. Last week he worked...
- math - 10. A house painter can finish a house in 6 hours. His partner can finish...
- Math - William rode his bike 20 miles in 2 hours. Lorie rode her bike 30 miles ...
- math - Andy finished his job 50% more work then Ali in the same amount of time. ...
- 7th grade math - Q:William practiced guitar 1 1/3 hours on monday and 5/6 hour ...
- Math - Dorothy and Rosanne are baking cookies for a party. Working alone, ...
- Math - Gina and Maggie working together can do their MI-4 project in 24 hours. ...
- Algebra - Dorothy and Rosanne are baking cookies for a party. Working alone, ...