Posted by karla on Monday, September 27, 2010 at 12:42pm.
Standing on top of the science building, which is 48 m high, a group of students use a slingshot to shoot a steel ball bearing straight up into the air. The ball bearing passes the students on its way down to the ground 3.2 sec after it was shot. (once the ball bearing leaves the slingshot, it accelerates at -9.8m/s/s)
a) With what speed did the ball bearing leave the slingshot?
b) What was the ball's velocity just before it hit the ground?
physics - MathMate, Monday, September 27, 2010 at 3:40pm
Time to reach highest point = 3.2/2=1.6s
Initial velocity, u=9.8*1.6=?
On its way down, the velocity is -u at the top of the building, and v on the ground. Acceleration is still -9.8 m/s².
u= calculated above
Solve for v.
you could also use energy,
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - You are standing at the foot of the Bank of America building in San ...
- physics - A ball bearing is dropped from rest at a point A. At the instant it ...
- Physics! - A spring with a spring constant of 224.3 N/m is compressed by 0.253 m...
- Physics - A spring with a spring constant of 223.9 N/m is compressed by 0.220 m...
- physics, please help me, this question is hard - John Stands at the edge of a ...
- math - A steel ball is dropped from rest from the roof of a building. An ...
- physics - A boy standing on top of a building throws a small ball from a height ...
- Chemistry - A ball bearing at 22.0 Celsius is dropped into a cup containing 250....
- Physics - Standing on the top ledge of a 55 m high building you throw a ball ...
- phsic - A small steel ball bearing with a mass of 10 g is on a short compressed ...