Posted by Lynnette on Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 6:08pm.
Find the line of the equation that
hits y=4x^2-20 when x= -5 that is
perpendicular to 5x-6=3y
My solution does not graphical show perpendicular lines, but algebraically it works lol Help!
- PreCalc - Reiny, Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 6:17pm
y = 4(-5)^2 - 20 = 80
so you have the point (-5,80)
the slope of 5x-6 = 3y is 5/3
so the slope of the required line is -3/5
Now use whichever method you normally use to find the equation of a line given its slope and a point on it.
- PreCalc - Lynnette, Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 6:20pm
Hi Reiny, Yes, I got that far. I even came up with a line, but am looking to see what others get as my line, when graphed, is not perpendicular to the other line mentioned in the prob (5x-6=3y)
- PreCalc - Reiny, Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 6:29pm
since the new line has slope -3/5, its equation must be
3x + 5y = k
point(-5,80) on it ....
-15 + 400 = k = 385
so new equation is 3x + 5y = 385 or
y = (-3/5)x + 77
Since the slopes are negative reciprocals of each other, their graphs MUST be perpendicular.
Check your calculation of points and check the plotting of points
- PreCalc - Lynnette, Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 6:37pm
I hope you're right since that's the equation I got too! I may be entering things into my calculator wrong. Using that is new to me. Thanks for all you're help!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math 10 - 1 more question.... how would I make this equation perpendicular? The ...
- math - parallel and perpendicular lines Determine an equation of each of the ...
- math2 - I was solving a problem. In It r have been given that two lines are ...
- Writing this equation - how do I write the equation of a line perpendicular to ...
- parallell and perpendicular lines - please check my homework given P(7,2) and ...
- geometry - Martin drew a pair of perpendicular lines and a pair of parallel ...
- Math! Please check! - Given that lines AC and GE are both perpendicular to line ...
- precalc - write a linear equation to fit each situation or description. 1) the ...
- geometry - find the slope of a line that passes through the following points. (4...
- Math - a line RS is perpendicular to plane p at R. If T is a second point not on...