Posted by Jessie on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 9:26am.
If someone could please point me in the right direction on these questions? Please. And thanks in advance!
1.One of the reasons a critical reader would not reject the logic and validity of an argument is when the writer has extensive use of connotation. True or False? I believe this is false, is the right?
2.A critical reader should analyze the writer’s words to determine language adaptations made for the audience. True or False? I believe this is true, is the right?
3.Analyzing for bias means to examine the word choice, the author’s frame of reference, and objectivity. True or False? Would this be False?
4.Critical reading requires asking questions about the author, his purpose, and his choice of language, while reading. True or False? I believe this is true, is that correct?
5.When critical readers analyze a written selection for possible obstacles, they need to A.) expose irrelevant support? B.) attack the person discussed in the selection? Or C.) rely on improper exploitation of the persuasive capabilities of language? I can’t decide if this would be A or C?
6.Analyzing textual material to identify language devices such as similes, metaphors, and symbolism helps increase critical reading skills because A.) you are improving your vocabulary skills? B.) you are more actively engaged in comprehension? Or C.) you are able to argue with the writer? I believe this is B, is that right?
7.Critical readers need to select from the questions and skills that they can use based on A.) how much they have to read? B.) their purpose and familiarity with the content? Or C.) the expertise of the writer or speaker? Would this be B?
8.If you want to think more effectively A.) start “stocking” your mind with information from various sources? B.) avoid thinking about biases you have? Or C.) develop your ability to speed read? I believe this is B, is that right?
9.The definition “ornament means something that is probably not necessary for practical use” is weak because it is A.) too broad? B.) too narrow? Or C.) biased? Would this be A or C?
10.When a critical reader analyzes an editorial, he or she should not expect to find A.) emotionally charged words? B.) objectively on the part of the writer? Or C.) the author’s bias? Would this be B? I am confused on this one between B and C?
11.The validity of an argument depends on A.) the strength of the connection between the support and the conclusion? B.) the use of identifiable signal words? Or C.) the questions that the critical reader asks? I believe this is A, is that right?
12. When a writer uses connotation, the critical reader must A.) determine what meaning the writer intends? B.) determine the most familiar meaning? Or C.) first remember the denotative meanings? Is this A?
- Critical Reading - Writeacher, Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 9:34am
I disagree with your answers for 3 and 8.
5 and 9 -- I'd go with A for both.
10 -- B; the author's bias is expected in editorials.
Other teachers may have more to add.
- Critical Reading - Jessie, Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 10:25am
Thanks so much for the help....I will leave it posted to see if any other teachers have anything to add! Thanks again ;-)
- Critical Reading - Writeacher, Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 10:35am
You're very welcome. =)
Answer this Question
- College Critical Reading - If someone could please let me know if these ...
- critical thinking - Which of the following is not a way of analyzing a reading? ...
- Critical Reading- Ms.Sue - Hello Again, I came across another questions I have...
- Critical Reading - Can someone please help me clear up this question I am stuck ...
- Critical Reading - Critical readers would not ask the same questions of ...
- Reading - What are 2-3 questions that a critical reader and thinker should be ...
- critical thinking - how do assumptions relate to the process of critical ...
- Critical Reading - As a critical reader, before you begin an evaluation you ...
- College Critical Reading - Can someone please let me know if I am right on these...
- Critical reading - Hi I need major help with these question, if you can help me ...