Posted by Jessica on Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 4:38pm.
How many ml of 50% dextrose should be added to 1 L of 0.9% NaCl to make a 5% dextrose solution?
medicine - bobpursley, Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 5:04pm
I am wondering if your percents are by mass, or what?
medicine - Jessica, Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 5:07pm
I don't know it never said in the problem.
medicine - MathMate, Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 5:50pm
It is understood to be mass/volume for ease of dosage calculations.
Therefore whether it is 0.9% saline or simply water, the proportions are the same.
You can do the calculations as follows:
Suppose we need v ml of c1% concentrated dextrose diluted with 1000 ml of liquid to give a c2% solution,
mass of glucose added = v(c1/100) g
total volume of liquid = 1000+a
(c2/100) = (v c1/100)/(1000+v)
Solving for v
(1000+v)c2 = v c1
For the case in point,
= 111.1 ml.
Equation 1 is a handy formula to remember if you need to do the same calculation often and fast.
medicine - TutorCat, Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 5:53pm
I don't think adding salt would matter. The only one thing you're focusing on is how to make that 5% dextrose solution.
(x mL)*(50) + 1000 mL = (1000 mL + x) mL)*(5)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- medicine - 50 ml of a solution of 50% dextrose is added to a liter of 0.45% NaCl...
- math - How many ml of 50% dextrose should be added to 1 L of 0.9% NaCl to make a...
- Math - How many ml of 50% dextrose should be added to 1 L of 0.9% NaCl to make a...
- Veterinary Medicine Math calculations - I was so thankful to see this exact ...
- Math - A nutritional formula calls for 500 g of dextrose in a total volume of ...
- Chemistry (isotonicity) - How many milligrams of NaCl should be used to make the...
- Chemistry - Determinne the amount of Dextrose and NaCl in 500ml of 5% DNS. (The ...
- chemistry - If 215.0 mL of water are added to a 237 mL sample of a 1.702 M ...
- math - How many mls of 45% dextrose and 15% dextrose do you need to make 780 mls...
- medicine - How would you make a 1000ml soln of 5% dextrose in LRS from 100ml of ...