Posted by MozAngeles on Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 12:07am.
When the dried-up seed pod of a scotch broom plant bursts open, it shoots out a seed with an initial velocity of 2.64 m/s at an angle of 30.0˚ below the horizontal. The seed pod is 0.465 m above the ground.
How long does it take for the seed to land?
What horizontal distance does it cover during its flight?
- Physics - drwls, Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 1:03am
For the time, solve the equation
y = 0.465 + 2.64 sin30 -(g/2) t^2 = 0
= 0.465 + 1.32 -4.9 t^2
There will be two solutions. Take the positive one.
For the horizonal distance traveled, that would be
X = 2.64 cos30*t = 2.29 t
Use the t from the first part.
- Physics (correct me if I'm wrong) - TutorCat, Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 1:10am
shouldn't 2.64 (sin30) by multiplied by time?
y = 0.465 + 2.64 (sin30)t -(g/2) t^2 = 0
- Physics - drwls, Saturday, September 18, 2010 at 1:14am
Yes, thanks for catching that. :-)
0 = 0.465 + 1.32 t -4.9 t^2
also needed a "t" in it.
- Physics - Nat, Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 7:48pm
Where did you get -4.6 from?
- Physics - Nat, Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 7:49pm
I mean -4.9
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - When the dried up seed pod of a scotch broom plant bursts open, it ...
- Physics - A seed shoots out from the pod with the speed of 2.4 m/s but with a ...
- Biology - Different types of plants may be angiosperms, vascular seed, vascular...
- math - A city plans to plant grass seed in a public playground that has the ...
- science review - since tomorrow is my test. Please check: seed coat- skin ...
- Biology - Assume you had a round seed garden pea plant and you wanted to find ...
- geometry - elbert wants to plant grass seed in his backyard. His yard is shaped ...
- Science - A dicot seed is preferred over a monocot seed to observe seed ...
- biology - 1. What adaptive advantage did seeds provide...
- Math - Elbert wants to plant grass seed in his backyard. His yard is shaped like...