Posted by Bree on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 8:28pm.
When 4.0 mol of CCl4 reacts with an excess of HF, 3.0 mol of CCl2F2 (Freon) is obtained. The equation for the reaction is
CCl4(l) + 2HF(g) --> CCl2F2(l) + 2HCl9g)
State which of the statements are true about the reaction and make the false statements true.
(a) The theoretical yield for CCl2F2 is 3.0 mol.
(b) The theoretical yield for HCl is 71 g.
(c) The percent yield for the reaction is 75%.
(d) The theoretical yield cannot be determined unless the exact amount of HF is given.
(e) From just the information given above, it is impossible to calculate how much HF is unreacted.
(f) For this reaction, as well as for any other reaction, the total number of moles of reactants is equal to the total number of moles of product.
(g) Half a mole of HF is consumed for every mole of CCl4 used.
(h) At the end of the reaction, no CCl4 is theoretically left unreacted.
I'm kind of confused on how to figure out the theoretical yield and percent yield using the information.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 9:20pm
c is correct.
1 mole CCl4 produces 1 mole Freon. So 4 moles CCl4 should produce 4.0 moles Freon. 4.0 moles Freon is the theoretical yield. The problem states that 3.0 moles Freon were produced; therefore, the %yield = (3.0/4.0)*100 = 75%.
c is not the only true statement in the list.
- Chemistry - Bree, Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 9:50pm
Okay thank you!
- Chemistry - sarah, Tuesday, October 9, 2012 at 5:28pm
What is the density of Freon-11 (CFCl3) at 120°C and 1.5 atm?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Freon-12 is formed as follows: 3 CCl4 + 2 SbF3 -> 3 CCl2F2 + 2 ...
- Chemistry - Manufacturing of Freon (CCl2F2): 2 HF(g) + CCl4(I) --> CCl2F2(g...
- Chemistry - Calculate the pressure that ccl4 will exert at 40 of 1.00 mol ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the number of molecules in 3.11mol of CCL4 this is what I'...
- Chemistry - Carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) and benzene (C6H6) form ideal solutions...
- College Chemistry - If 69.3g of magnesium chloride were produced from a process ...
- Chemistry - Reposting with correct information..Carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) and ...
- Chemisrty - Carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) and benzene (C6H6) form ideal solutions...
- chemistry - I have a problem that states: Find the pressure of a sample of ...
- chemistry - Why is there a difference in the heats of formation of CF4 and CCl4...