Posted by Leanna on Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 10:09pm.
If f(x)=1-x^3 and f^-1 is the inverse of f, how many solutions does the equation f(x)=f^-1(x) have?
a)none b)one c)three d)five e)six
Calculus..Need Help Soon - MathMate, Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 11:30pm
Work out the inverse of f(x), which should be:
f-1(x) = (1-x)(1/3)
f(x)=f-1(x) to get
Take cube on both sides:
(1-x³)³ = (1-x)
Expand and cancel "1" on each side to give
This is where it gets a little fussy.
Examine the signs of the coefficients equation and apply des Cartes rule of signs to get a minimum of three positive roots corresponding the three changes of sign.
In addition, we know that zero is a root which is non-positive. So the total number of roots (by the des Cartes rule) is 3+2k, where k is at least 1 (because zero is a root), meaning that the number of roots is either 5, 7 or 9. Of these, only 5 is a given choice.
I hope someone else could give a more vigorous solution.
(The solution to equation one actually yields 5 real and 4 complex zeroes).
Calculus.-corr - MathMate, Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 11:32pm
Typo : "rigorous" instead of vigorous.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Help!Math.... - Six pears and three apples cost $3.90. Two pears and five apples...
- Calculus - The equation 10(x-1)(x-2)(x-3) = 1 has three real solutions a<b<...
- Algebra!! - Six pears and three apples cost $3.90. Two pears and five apples ...
- Algebra Help Inverse One-to-one - I need to know if I have done this correctly. ...
- Math: Calculus - The equation: 10(x-1)(x-2)(x-3)=1, has three real solutions a&...
- Equation help 2 questions - How many real number solutions does the equation ...
- Calculus..Need Help Soon - If the solutions of f(x)=0 are 1 and -2, then the ...
- Chemistry - (1) Which of the following clusters of orbitals would form the shape...
- Pre-Calc - Does y=1/x have an inverse? It is a one-to-one function, so it should...
- Linear Algebra - I need help please!! How many solutions does the system of ...