Posted by Emily on Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 8:46pm.
A small steel ball bearing with a mass of 28.0 g is on a short compressed spring. When aimed vertically and suddenly released, the spring sends the bearing to a height of 1.25 m. Calculate the horizontal distance the ball would travel if the same spring were aimed 34.0 deg from the horizontal.
physics - bobpursley, Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 9:02pm
energy in spring: m*g*h
velocity of the ball= sqrt 2gh check that.we will use this later.
now calculate the time in air launched at 34deg
solve for time in air, t.
horizontal distance= Vi*cos34*t
physics - Emily, Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 10:09pm
my answer for this question came out to be 1.16 m. However when I plug it into the Physics homework program it say incorrect.
My equation for t was:
1.25 m = 0m + 4.952sin34t - 4.9t^2 and then I did the quadratic equation and got t= .28258
I then did the horizontal distance equation using 4.952 as my Vi.
What am I doing wrong where I still don't get the correct answer?
physics - Morgan, Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 4:33pm
The way to solve this is to use potential and kinetic energy and the formula R = (v^2/g)sin2(theta).
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - A small steel ball bearing with a mass of 28.0 g is on a short ...
- physics - A small steel ball bearing with a mass of 10 g is on a short ...
- Physics please help im DESPERATE - A small steel ball bearing with a mass of 17....
- Physics - A small steel ball bearing with a mass of 24 g is on a short ...
- phsic - A small steel ball bearing with a mass of 10 g is on a short compressed ...
- Physics! - A spring with a spring constant of 224.3 N/m is compressed by 0.253 m...
- Physics - A spring with a spring constant of 223.9 N/m is compressed by 0.220 m...
- Physics - The spring in a spring loaded cannon has a spring constant of 470N/m. ...
- physics - A spring-loaded toy gun is used to shoot a ball of mass m straight up ...
- Physics - Block A of mass 4.0 kg is on a horizontal, frictionless tabletop and ...