Posted by Sara on Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 7:29pm.
How Mosquitos Came To Be
Long time ago there was a giant who loved to kill humans, eat their flesh, and drink their blood. He was especially fond of human hearts. "Unless we can get rid of the giant," people said, "none of us will be left," and they called a council to discuss ways and means.
One man said, "I think I know how to kill the monster," and he went to the place where the giant had las been seen. There he lay down and pretended to be dead.
Soon the giant came along. Seeing the man lying there, he said: "These humans are making it easy for me. Now I don't even have to catch and kill them; they die right on my trail, probably from fear of me!"
The giant touched the boday. "Ah, good,' he said, "this one is still warm and fresh. What a tasty meal he'll make; I can't wait to roast his heart."
The giant flung the man over his shoulder, and the man let his head hang down as if he were dead. Carrying the man home, the giant dropped him in the middle of the floor right near the fireplace. Then he saw that there was no firewood, and went to get some.
As soon as the monster had left, the man got up and grabbed the giant's huge skinning knife. Just then the giant's son came in, bending low to enter. He was still small as giants go, and the man held the big knife to his throat. "Quick, tell me, where's your father's heart? Tell me or I'll slit your throat!"
The giant's son was scared. He said: "My father's heart is in his left heel."
Just then the giant's left foot appeared in the entrance, and the man swiftly plunged the knife into the heel. The monster screamed and fell down dead.
Yet, the giant still spoke. "Though I'm dead, though you killed me, I'm going to keep on eating you and all the humans in the world forever!
"That's what you think!" said the man. "I'm about to make sure that you never eat anyone again." He cut the giant's body into pieces and burned each one in the fire. Then he took the ashes and threw them into the air for the winds to scatter. Instantly each of the particles turned into a mosquito. The cloud of ashes became a cloud of mosquitoes, and from their midst the man heard the giant's voice laughing, saying: "Yes, Ill eat you people until the end of time."
As the monster spoke, the man felt a sting, and a mosquito started sucking his blood, and then many mosquitoes stung him, and he began to scratch himself.
I have a question on both of this story and "The two pickpockets". The question is "How both stories demonstrate the idea that appearances can be decieving?"
Both stories demonstrate the idea that appearances can be decieving by them including such type of characters in the story who turn out to be what they do not seem.
- English - Ms. Sue, Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 7:33pm
You could add more details to your answer.
- English - Sara, Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 7:43pm
Both stories demonstrate the idea that appearances can be decieving by them including such type of characters in the story who turn out to be what they do not seem. In the story "How mosquitoes came to be", the giant won and even by not being alive his ahes which turned into mosquitoes formed. In the story " The two pickpockets", the little boy turned out to be the cleverest pickpocket and had stolen the maid's gold band.
- English - Ms. Sue, Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 7:48pm
- English - Sara, Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 7:52pm
Thanks, are there any grammatical errors in my answer?
- English - Sara, Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 7:54pm
Also, is the mosquito part correct? Cause I wasn't sure how to answer about that one and see how it demonstrates that appearances can be decieving.
- English - Ms. Sue, Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 7:57pm
type = types
omit: in the story
omit: which and formed
maid = midwife
Check spelling of decieving and ahes
Your facts are correct.
- English - Sara, Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 8:03pm
Thank you very much Ms. Sue
- English - Ms. Sue, Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 8:12pm
You're very welcome, Sara.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- 5th grade - How.can spraying.pesticides to kill mosquitos help produce mosquitos...
- English - 1. We should not eat and drink in the library. 2. We should not eat or...
- English - 1. We should not eat and drink. (Does it mean that we can not both eat...
- Calculus - The blood alcohol concentration after a drink has been consumed can ...
- science(check answers again) - 1. carrying capacity is the maximum number of (...
- english - I must combine the following sentences in the most effective way. Is ...
- Business - Prepare a 600 to 700 word analysis of the relationship between humans...
- English - 1.Drink a lot of water at a time is not good for your health. You need...
- Physics - In the human body, blood travels faster in the largest blood vessel, ...
- biology 6 - the giant anteater of south america, the giant armadillo of north ...