Posted by lucylu on Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 1:42am.
Complete and balance the following equations using the method of half-reaction. both reactions happen in acidic solutions:
a. Cu(s) + NO3-(aq)--> Cu2+(aq) + NO2(aq)
b. Mn2+(aQ) + NaBiO3(s)--> Bi3+(aq) + MnO4-(aq)
I'm having trouble getting the half-rxn equations and the balancing. it just doesnt click in my head
- chemistry- redox - DrBob222, Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 12:42pm
Cu(s) + NO3-(aq)--> Cu2+(aq) + NO2(aq)
Step 1. Separate into two half reactions. Cu ==> Cu^+2
NO3^- ==> NO2
Step 2. Determine oxidation states.
Cu goes from 0 on left to +2 on the right.
Step3. Count the charge and add electrons to balance the charge.
Cu ==> Cu^+2 + 2e
Repeat steps 2 and 3 for NO3^-.
NO3^- ==> NO2
N is +5 on left and 4 on right. Add electrons to account for change in oxidation state.
NO3^- + e ==> NO2
Step 4. Count charge. Add H^+ to balance charge.
-2 on left; 0 on the right.
2H^+ + NO3^- + e ==> NO2
Step 5. Add H2O to balance H^+ added.
2H^+ + NO3^- + e ==> NO2 + H2O
Step 6. Now multiply the NO3^- half cell by 2, the Cu half cell by 1 and add the two equations.
Step 7. Cancel anything common to both sides to arrive at the net ionic equation.
Step 8. If desirable, the net ionic equation can be changed to a molecular equation by adding appropriate ions to either side (but always in equal numbers).
- chemistry- redox - lucylu, Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 3:59am
Dr BOB, can you explain, simply, how you do stage 3. or how you get the number of electrons? I just get myself so confused by it.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chem 1A - Balance the following oxidation-reduction reactions, which occur in ...
- chemistry - what is the oxidation half reaction, reduction half reaction, and ...
- chemistry - Balance the following redox reaction occurring in acidic solution Cu...
- Chemistry - Dr.Bobb222 please help balance the following oxidation-reduction ...
- Chemistry - Balance the following equations for a half reaction that occurs in a...
- Chemistry - how do I balance the following skeleton redox equation for a ...
- chemistry - Using the change-in-oxidation-number method, balance the redox ...
- Chemistry - In a particular redox reaction, MnO2 is oxidized to MnO4– and Cu2 is...
- Balance each of the following redox reactions occu - Balance each of the ...
- chemistry - In many residential water systems, the aqueous Fe3+ concentration ...