Posted by mysterychicken on Thursday, September 9, 2010 at 5:59pm.
Hey everyone! (: It's been a while. I just started my new sophomore year course. I need help with this--
'When you finish with the first collection you will write a persuasive essay that includes a personal narrative in your journal. This essay is intended to convince your audience of your viewpoint about a debatable issue or situation. Brainstorm a list of possible essay subjects and write them. Your issues should be subjects that are open for debate or situations you think need to be changed.'
Can I get some ideas to write about please? Thanks
- English 2 - Ms. Sue, Thursday, September 9, 2010 at 6:02pm
Welcome back, MC. :-)
Which issues or situations do YOU know about?
We'll be glad to comment on and add to YOUR list of debatable issues.
- English 2 - mysterychicken, Thursday, September 9, 2010 at 6:11pm
Thanks Ms.Sue [: I've missed you guys.
Umm I can't really think of anything except for stuff like, why uniforms are better in a school than a choice of dressing. Would that work?
- English 2 - mysterychicken, Thursday, September 9, 2010 at 6:18pm
Here are some better ones--
Dress Codes in School
- English 2 - Ms. Sue, Thursday, September 9, 2010 at 6:18pm
That's pretty lame for a sophomore.
Don't you read or watch the news? If you don't, I urge you to keep up with the news.
Muslim center near Ground Zero
requirement of two years of algebra for all high school students
Obama's new stimulus package to improve roads, bridges, and airports
Israel and Palestine conflict
- English 2 - mysterychicken, Thursday, September 9, 2010 at 6:21pm
Thanks. I've mentioned some of the ones you listed above. I think I'll either do abortion or the mosque near Ground Zero since I can write about those two pretty well.
- English 2 - Ms. Sue, Thursday, September 9, 2010 at 6:24pm
- English 2 - Ms. Sue, Thursday, September 9, 2010 at 6:25pm
However, if you want to increase your knowledge, you'd choose a subject you don't know much about and research it thoroughly.
- English 2 - mysterychicken, Thursday, September 9, 2010 at 6:30pm
Gotcha. But in my text it says that since this essay needs to include a personal narrative, you need to have some personal experience that you can tie into the issue somehow, and I think writing about the mosque near Ground Zero would be best for this situation since I'm a Muslim and I can write about how there's no violence in mosques and stuff so there should be no issue about that or something.
- English 2 - Ms. Sue, Thursday, September 9, 2010 at 7:09pm
Ahh -- you made a good point about using personal experience.
You should also emphasize that most Muslims are peaceful. Every religion and ethnic group has an extremely small minority who are violent. (Think of "Christians" killing abortion doctors and Timothy McVeigh's terrorist act.)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- 8th grade Language Arts - I am writing a persuasive essay and I need some tips ...
- Stats Anyone? - The first-year retention rate is the percentage of entering ...
- english - hi, i need to write a persuasive essay that includes a personal ...
- english - hey people!! im new here and i just got an essay to do on english ...
- Grammar and Composition - Hi, I have started working on the Phone Book Character...
- writing (persuasive essay) - Hi. I'm in 10th grade and our teacher assigned us a...
- English - Please Help!!! I just need some ideas to right a short essay. I've ...
- English 12 - I need help on an essay. I'm suppose to pick an author to write ...
- To:EVERYONE AT JISKHA - I JUST WANT TO WISH ALL A HAPPY NEW YEAR. A NEW YEAR A ...
- Writing - Im wondering about citing a book in a paragraph basically would i just...