Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 10:46pm.
the base of a triangle is 2 cm shorter than the width of a rectangle. The rectangle's length is 4 times its width and the triangle's height is the same as the rectangle's length. find the area of both figures if the difference of the two areas is 30cm2
calculus - Anonymous, Thursday, September 9, 2010 at 1:10am
from the data
width = x
length = 4x
base = x-2
height = 4x
area of rectangle = x(4x) = 4x^2
area of triangle = (1/2)(x-2)(4x) = 2x^2 - 4x
4x^2 - (2x^2 - 4x) = 30
2x^2 + 4x - 30 = 0
x^2 + 2x - 15=0
(x+5)(x-3) = 0
x = -5 (not possible) or x = 3
area of rect. = 4x^2 = 36
area of triangle = 2x^2 - 4x = 18-16 = 2
Oops - calculus - Reiny, Thursday, September 9, 2010 at 1:13am
I messed up in the last line
should have said:
area of triangle = 2x^2 - 4x = 18-12 = 6
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra Homework, HELP! - 1) A rectangle has an area of 297 square inches and a...
- algebra - sooo confusing... 6. (¼ + 7/8)(9/13) A81/13 B17/104 C81/104 D17/29 E17...
- math - A right rectangle and a right triangle prism have the same height. If ...
- math - a right rectangle and a right triangle prism have the same height. If the...
- basic geometric - 10. a rectangle has width the same as a side of a square whose...
- geometry - a rectangle and an equilateral triangle have the same perimeter the ...
- 5th grade - For each right triangle, draw the rectangle made by drawing sides ...
- math117 - The area of a rectangle of length x is given by 3x2 +5x. Find the ...
- mat117/algebra - The area of a rectangle of length x is given by 3x^2 + 5x. Find...
- Math-Algebra - 1. What is the base of a triangle if its area is represented by ...