Posted by will on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 10:28pm.
I am having a hard time with this one not sure how to set up the problem.
A gas can holds 1.7gal of gasoline. What is this quantity in cubic centimeters?
I know that 1gal=3.785L
I know that 1L=1000cm^3
I have tried 1.7gal*3.785L/1gal=6.4345cm^3.
I just can not figure out what I am doing wrong.
- chemistry - will, Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 10:31pm
The other two questions that I can not set up for conversions is
8.86*10^11m converted to gigameters
1.57*10^-10m converted to picometers
- chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 10:45pm
Your first one is great but you stopped too soon.
1.7 gal x (3.785L/gal) = 6.4345 L (Look at the units. gal cancels and you are left with L. Now you convert to cm^3 by
6.4345 L x (1000 cc/1L) = 6,434.5 cc.
There are two significant figures in the number of 1.7 gal; therefore, you should round the final answer to 2 places. That would be 6,400 cc.
There are 10^9 m in 1 Gm.
There are 10^12 pm in 1 m.
- chemistry - will, Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 10:52pm
I am still lost on setting up the last 2.
- chemistry - will, Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 11:04pm
So do I set this up as:
8.86*10^11m (1Gm/10^9m)=8.86*10^11/10^9 since my meters cancel? Which then gives me 8.86^20
- chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, September 9, 2010 at 12:02am
Your set up is right. Your math is wrong.
That gives you 8.86 x 10^2 = 886 gigameters. (and you were smart to set up up that way to make the meters cancel and leave gm.) When you divide exponents you subtract; therefore 10^11/10^9 = 10^2.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - A gas can holds 1.5 of gasoline, what is this quantity in cubic ...
- Chemistry - Regular gasoline (C8H18) reacts with oxygen gas to form carbon ...
- Chemistry - If the density of gasoline is 0.66 g/ml , how many kilocalories of ...
- chemistry - Can somone please explain how to do this problem: How many cubic ...
- science - need to make a silent proof box 15,000 cubic centimeters. What is the ...
- physics - my teacher wasn't in school and this assignment is due @ 7am!!!!! The ...
- Math - I am having a hard time with these problems and could you show me how to ...
- Math - I have to make up a story problem that divides 4/5 by 2/5 .... I'm having...
- chemistry - How many cubic centimeters of olive oil have the same mass as 1.30 L...
- math - a 12.0 gallon gasoline tank holds 66.0 pounds of gasoline. If this ...