Posted by Hannah on Tuesday, September 7, 2010 at 11:28pm.
Determine whether the curve has a tangent at the indicated point.
f(x)= sin x 0<x<3pi/4
cos x 3pi/4<x<2pi
at x = 3pi/4
Calculus - bobpursley, Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 12:29am
The real question is the f' continous at the point.
below the point: f'=cos x, at the point, f'=-.707
f' above the point; f'=-sinx, at the point, f'=-.707
so, the derivative curve is continous, and the curve has a tangent.
Calculus - Hannah, Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 7:42am
Thank you. Can you tell me how to actually work the problem, too? Thanks again!
Calculus - MathMate, Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 9:22am
Another condition for tangency at x0=(3/4)π is that f(x0) must exist.
In this particular case,
Lim f(x0-)=(√2)/2 and
so f(x) is discontinuous at x=x0.
In fact, f(x) is undefined at x=x0, or x0 is not in the domain of f(x).
The tangent does not exist at x0, even though the derivative (slope) is continuous throughout the function.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- trig - Solve cos x-1 = sin^2 x Find all solutions on the interval [0,2pi) a. x=...
- Pre-Calculus-check answers - State the period and phase shift of the function y...
- Calculus - Find the slope of the tangent line to the curve 2sin(x) + 6cos(y) - ...
- Math - Test for symmetry with repsect to Q=pi/2, the polar axis, and the pole. ...
- Math - Test for symmetry with repsect to Q=pi/2, the polar axis, and the pole. r...
- maths - Please can you help me with this question? Choose the option which is a ...
- trig - Solve the equation for cos theta-tan theta=0 for greater than or egual to...
- Calculus - 1) The period of a trig. function y=sin kx is 2pi/k. Then period of y...
- CALC HW - FIND THE X VALUES OF ALL POINTS, -2PI LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO X LESS ...
- trig - if tan x= 4/3 and pip < x < 3pi/2, and cot y= -5/12 with 3pi/2 <...