Posted by TiffanyJ on Tuesday, September 7, 2010 at 8:51pm.
Could you check these please? Firewood is usually sold by a measure known as a cord. A full cord may be a stack 8x4x4ft or a stack 8x8x2ft
10. what is the volume of a full cord?
11. A short cord or a face cord of wood is 8x4xThe lenght of the logs. What is the volume of a short cord of 2 1/2ft logs?
12. If you have an area that is 12ft long and 2ft wide in which to store your firewood, How high will a stack be if it is a full cord of wood?
- Math (check please) - MathMate, Tuesday, September 7, 2010 at 9:29pm
#10 and #11 are correct if the answers were 128 ft³ and 80 ft³ (or cubic feet).
A full cord of wood occupies 128 ft³, so the height needs to be:
128/(12*2)=5 1/3 ft or 5'-4".
- Math (check please) - TiffanyJ, Tuesday, September 7, 2010 at 9:33pm
Thank you I didn't know I had to put cubed at the end of them. Can I ask why I need cubed at the end?
- Math (check please) - MathMate, Tuesday, September 7, 2010 at 9:45pm
Foot (or feet) is for linear measurements, ft² for areas, and ft³ is required for volumes.
A cord of wood measures the volume, obtained by multiplying:
8 ft x 8 ft x 2 ft
= 8 x 8 x 2 x ft x ft x ft
= 128 ft³
So the dimensions (units) are being multiplied as well.
- Math (check please) - TiffanyJ, Tuesday, September 7, 2010 at 9:53pm
Ok I understand now. I knew about the squared part for area's but I didn't even think about applying that to Volume. Thanks again
- Math (check please) - MathMate, Tuesday, September 7, 2010 at 10:09pm
- Math (check please) - math expert, Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 5:21pm
i dont know
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Could you check these pleas? Firewood usually sold by a measure known as ...
- algebra - Jonathan and Bill need to stack firewood. Jonathan can stack 130 ...
- math - Firewood is often sold by the cord. A cord of wood is a bundle measuring ...
- Physics - A stack of books rests on a level perfectly smooth surface. A force F ...
- Math - Need help on writing an equation. the question is let H represent the ...
- math - Mrs.Fis has 1/3 of a stack of Quizzes left to grade. Of the stack,3/4 of ...
- PreCal - You have 1000 coins. Start by placing one coin in its own "stack." Next...
- physics H----please help!!!! - Suppose a cord is a heavy rope of mass 1.0 kg. ...
- Physics - A phone cord is 2.85 m long. The cord has a mass of 0.254 kg. A ...
- physics - A phone cord is 3.55 m long. The cord has a mass of 0.200 kg. A ...