Posted by Shawn on Saturday, September 4, 2010 at 10:36am.
Dangling modifiers - are these right? Second entry is my corrected version.
1. In 1883, massive destruction was caused by the eruption of the volcano Krakatoa, an event recently examined in the book Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded.
In 1883, the eruption of the volcano Krakatoa caused massive destruction, which was recently examined in the book Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded.
2. Exploding with a force 13,000 times stronger than the bomb dropped on Hiroshima, people thousands of miles away heard the eruption.
People thousands of miles away heard the eruption when it exploded with a force 13,000 times stronger than the bomb dropped on Hiroshima.
3. The loudest sound historically reported was generated by the explosion, with devastating tsunamis soon following.
The explosion not only generated the loudest sound historically reported but also the tsunamis that followed.
4. Ejecting tons of debris into the air, the volcano destroyed or damaged hundreds of nearby villages.
5. Beginning to erupt around late July, larger eruptions didn't start until the middle of August.
6. Reaching over 100 feet in height and traveling at devastating speeds, major destruction was caused on the coastlines of Sumatra.
On the Coastlines of Sumatra, major destruction was caused by tsunamis reaching over 100 feet in height and traveling at devastating speeds.
7. Lasting much longer than expected, people in nearby areas felt aftershocks until February of 1884.
The aftershocks lasted much longer than expected as people in nearby areas felt them until February of 1884.
8. To understand the magnitude of this volcanic eruption, changes in weather patterns were studied by scientists.
Changes in weather patterns were studied by scientists to understand the magnitude of this volcanic eruption.
9. Darkening the sky for days afterwards and producing unusual sunsets, the ash and gases from the volcano temporarily lowered the average temperature of the earth.
10. Affecting the art of its time, the background of Edvard Munch's famous painting The Scream was inspired by Krakatoan sunsets.
- English - Writeacher, Saturday, September 4, 2010 at 11:02am
1 and 3 seem correct to me in the first place. Your revised sentences are good, too.
2, 6, 8 - good corrections
4, 9 - yes
5 - rethink; what was "beginning to erupt"? The eruptions??? :-/
7 - I'd change "as" to "and" and put a comma after "expected"
10 - rethink; what was "affecting the art of its time"?
Answer this Question
Krakatoa Volcano - What landforms were made because of the eruption of the ...
3 grade english - a graphic source is an image that help you understand what you...
ACCOUNTING - COM/220 Grammer exercise week 3 1) dangling modifiers 2) misplaced ...
english - Rewrite the following sentences, focusing on the grammar area ...
English - I am having trouble identifing dangling modifers. example: If your ...
Grammar - Help with dangling modifiers This site has a great explanation of ...
English - In which sentence is the underlined word a past participle? Melted ...
English - Dangling Modifiers
English: Misplaced and Dangling Modifiers - I have difficulty determining ...
gr. 12 english - Double Negatives and Modifiers - I'm going to ask for a little ...