Posted by Sar on Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 4:37pm.
Acetone, C3H6O, and ethyl acetate, C4H8O2, are organic liquids often used as solvents. At 30 degrees C, the vapor pressure of acetone is 285 mm Hg and the vapor pressure of ethyl acetate is 118mm Hg. the solution is prepared at 30 degrees C by dissolving 27.0 g of acetone in 22.5 g of ethyl acetate.
A. What is the mole fraction of each component in the liquid mixture?
B. What is the mole fraction of each comment in the vapor at 30 degrees C?
How do I even START this problem? I am so confused.
- Mole fractions in a liquid mixture: - DrBob222, Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 6:08pm
Calculate moles acetone.
Calculate moles ethyl acetate.
Add mole acetone to moles ethyl acetate for total moles.
Now you are set up.
mole fraction acetone = moles acetone/total moles.
mole fraction ethyl acetate = moles ethyl acetate/total moles.
Part B. vapor
vapor (partial) pressure acetone = mole fraction acetone x normal vapor pressure acetone.
vapor (partial) pressure ethyl acetate = mole fraction ethyl acetate x normal vp ethyl acetate.
add partial pressure acetone in vapor to partial pressure ethyl acetate in vapor to obtain total pressure.
mole fraction acetone = partial pressure acetone/total pressure
mole fraction ethyl acetate = partial pressure ethyl acetate/total pressure.
Check my thinking.
- Mole fractions in a liquid mixture: - Sar, Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 6:44pm
When I did that I got this:
2.6 for acetone mole fraction
1.4 for ethyl acetate mole fraction
119 acetate vapor
30 ethyl acetate vapor
None of those answers were correct. :[
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- OChem - A mixture of acetone and ethyl acetate of unknown ratio begins to boil ...
- chem - The solvent for an organic reaction is prepared by mixing 50.0 of acetone...
- Chem - A solution is made by mixing 50.0 g C3H6O and 50.0 g of CH3OH. What is ...
- Chemistry - What is the mole fraction of methyl n-butyrate CH3(Ch2)2COOCH3 in ...
- Chemistry - An example of a solution that exhibits a positive deviation from ...
- Chemistry - How many grams of carbon tetrachloride CCL4 must be mixed with 35....
- Organic Chemistry TLC Chromatography - If you have 5.6 ml of 95:5 ethyl acetate...
- Chemistry - The vapor pressure of pure acetone (propanone) is 266 torr. When a ...
- chem 2 - solution is made by adding 0.100 mole of ethyl ether to 0.350 mole of ...
- Chemistry II - Acetone, C3H6O, is the main ingredient of nail polish remover. A ...