Posted by Shaila on Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 6:07am.
Two cars of identical mass are approaching the same intersection, one from the south and the one from the west. They reach the intersection at the same time and collide. The cars lock together and move away at an angle of 22deg counterclockwise from the road; heading east. Which car was traveling faster than the other before the collision? Explain your reasoning
Physics - Momentum of cars at intersection - drwls, Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 7:08am
The momentum component of the combined cars in the eastern direction exceeds the component in the north-traveling direction. Therefore most of the momentum came from the east-traveling car. The ratio is cos22/sin22 = 2.475
Assuming the cars had about the same mass, the east-traveling car had the higher original speed.
Physics - Momentum of cars at intersection - moza, Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 3:49am
Two vehicles are approaching an intersection. One is a 2500-
kg pickup traveling at 14.0 m/s from east to west (the negative x-direction),
and the other is a 1500-kg Mercedes going from south to north (the positive
y-direction at 23.0 m/s). (a) Find the x and y components of the net
momentum of this system. (b) What are the magnitude and direction of the
physics - Qais, Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 5:32am
then X-comp is 2500*-14/3800
Y-comp is 1500*23/3800
find the value of V from the square root of the previous ....
Physics - Momentum of cars at intersection - what?, Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 12:50am
Is this in english?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - Momentum of cars at intersection - Car A(1750kg) traveling due south ...
- Physics - Two cars collide at an icy intersection and stick together afterward. ...
- Calculus - A car leaves an intersection traveling west. Its position 5 sec later...
- physics - Two cars are approaching a perpendicular intersection without a stop ...
- physics - Two cars approach an ice-covered intersection. One car, of mass 1.22 ...
- College Physics - Two cars collide at an icy intersection and stick together ...
- physics - Two cars approach an ice-covered intersection. One car, of mass 1.26 ...
- calculus - Two cars, one traveling north and one traveling west, collide at an ...
- Calc 1 - Related Rates: Two cars approach the intersection of two highways. The ...
- physics - Car 1 approaches an intersection with a momentum of p1i=(11,000 kg*m/s...