Posted by Leanna on Sunday, August 29, 2010 at 1:49pm.
In 1951, the population of India was 357 million people. By 1981 it had grown to 984 million. If the population is growing exponentially, when (in what month of what year) will the population reach 1 billion people?
- Math AP Calc - Reiny, Sunday, August 29, 2010 at 6:59pm
let the equation be
P = 357(e)^(kt) where t is the time in years since 1951
so 1981 ---> t = 30
984 = 357(e^30k)
2.756303 = e^30k
30k = ln 2.756303
k = .0337963
so now we have P = 357(e^.0337963t)
so 1000 = 357(e^.0337963t)
2.80112 = e^.0337963t
t = 30.477
30 years + .477 of the next year
30 yrs + 5.7 months
in the 6th month of 1951
- Math AP Calc - Leanna, Sunday, August 29, 2010 at 7:33pm
wouldn't it be past 1981 instead of in the 6th month of 1951?
- Math AP Calc - Reiny, Sunday, August 29, 2010 at 7:38pm
of course, clearly a typo. Sorry about that.
since my t=30.477 and I defined as 1951 as t=0
the time is 1951 + 30.477 = 1981 + .477yrs.
- Math AP Calc - Leanna, Sunday, August 29, 2010 at 8:30pm
Does the .477 years mean the 6th month (June) you were talking about?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - In 1951, the population of India was 357 million people. By 1981 it had ...
- Math - I have no idea how to even start this problem. In 1951, the population of...
- Math-Reiny Help! Previous Problem - In 1951, the population of India was 357 ...
- calculus - The population of a country was 8.4 million people in 2000. Three ...
- College Mathematics - Guys, could you please help me with this problem? I'm a ...
- Calculus - The population of a region is growing exponentially. There were 40 ...
- Algebra 2 - According to the US Census Bureau, the population of the United ...
- algebra - In 1990, the population of Africa was 643 million and by 2000 it had ...
- algebra - (1) If the population of a city was 2 million in 1995 and growing at a...
- Calculus - The population in certain country is growing at the rate of 7 % a ...