Posted by Hannah on Sunday, August 29, 2010 at 12:01am.
Simplify each expression:
1) (x+8)^2 = x^2 + 64
2) (x-2)^3 = x^3 - 8
3) (x-2y)(x+y) = x^2 - xy -2y^2
4) (x+2)(x^2+3x-2) = x^3 + 5x^2 + 4x-4
Are my answers correct?
Math(please check) - MathMate, Sunday, August 29, 2010 at 8:59am
Numbers 3) and 4) are correct.
For numbers 1) and 2), you have missed out terms, probably you have not used the right standard formulae.
(a+b)² = a² + 2ab + b²
(a-b)² = a² - 2ab + b²
(a+b)³ = a³ + 3a²b + 3ab² + b³
(a-b)³ = a³ - 3a²b + 3ab² - b³
If you are in an examination where you do not have an easy way to double check the standard formulae, you can treat
(a+b)² = (a+b)(a+b)
which you seem to have no problem solving.
Math(please check) - Hannah, Sunday, August 29, 2010 at 6:11pm
so for (x+8)^2 i would use
a^2 + 2ab + b^2 and a would be 8 but what is b? Would it be 64?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra 1--Please, check my answers! - Multiply. Simplify your answer. 1. (n + 3...
- Algebra (check my answers) - Please check these answers. Multiply -7(2a2 -4) = -...
- Algebra-please check - Please check these: 1.When the fraction 2/3 is used as ...
- algebra 2 - 1.Simplify the difference. n^2 - lOn+24 9 / n^2 - 13n + 42 — 7 A. n-...
- Algebra - 1. Simplify the expression: 4√18+5√32 A.45√2 B.32...
- math - Please check my answers! Simplify the product. 7x(x+4) A. 7x^2+4 B. 7x^2+...
- Algebra - 1.Simplify the radical expression. √5+6√√5 A.5√...
- Math Please Check - Please check my answers! Thank you! Simplify the following ...
- Math - Can someone please check my answers below for accurateness? The ...
- Algebra 1: 8th Grade - Simplify each expression. Write your answers using ...