Posted by E.G. on Saturday, August 28, 2010 at 7:05pm.
After having studied all the sites suggested by Sra and Writeacher,
I have found, that "eponym", as well as "toponym", has two definitions.
1) a name from which another name or word is derived.
2)a word derived from a person.
This would make both, Athena and Athens, eponyms.
1) a place name (Athens)
2) a word derived from a place (athenian, spartan)
Thus, Athens would be both, an eponym and a toponym.
Am I now correct?
Thank you for your help and patience.
- English - Writeacher, Saturday, August 28, 2010 at 7:26pm
It seems to me that Athens is a toponym only.
Here's an example of the second defintion for eponym that I heard recently on a rerun of the TV show NUMB3RS:
"Now don't go all Fleinhart on me." (Fleinhart is the name of one of the characters on that show; he is portrayed as an astronomy and physics professor who is the quintessential absent-minded professor.)
- English - E.G., Saturday, August 28, 2010 at 7:40pm
Thank you Writeacher.
The reason that I thought Athens is an eponym as well as a toponym, is that in one of the sites it said that
Romulus is the eponym for Rome and Rome is an eponym for Romulus.
Thank you so much for all your help and patience. This is a fantastic site and all you teachers are magnificent!!!
- English - Writeacher, Saturday, August 28, 2010 at 7:49pm
You're very welcome, EG. =)
Answer this Question
- English - I have done some extensive research on the various "-nyms", but I am ...
- English - "Athena" is an eponym and "athenian" a toponym, but is there also a "-...
- English - I am supposed to cite my sources using the MLA format. I am trying to ...
- To:Writeacher - Can you write you real name when you go to POST A NEW QUESTON IN...
- Grammar - The noun that goes with an eponym should be capitalized (e.g. Homan ...
- western civilizations - Thank you Ms. Sue for your two suggested sites. I have ...
- history-Civil War - Sorry Sra...your sites didnt help..i was in sooo many sites ...
- Roman History - We're having a map quiz and we have to name all these different ...
- history - name the 12 provinces and territories of candada. name the two ...
- English - We were asked to find how many times you can write 1 word in the same ...