Posted by E.G. on Saturday, August 28, 2010 at 7:05pm.
After having studied all the sites suggested by Sra and Writeacher,
I have found, that "eponym", as well as "toponym", has two definitions.
1) a name from which another name or word is derived.
2)a word derived from a person.
This would make both, Athena and Athens, eponyms.
1) a place name (Athens)
2) a word derived from a place (athenian, spartan)
Thus, Athens would be both, an eponym and a toponym.
Am I now correct?
Thank you for your help and patience.
- English - Writeacher, Saturday, August 28, 2010 at 7:26pm
It seems to me that Athens is a toponym only.
Here's an example of the second defintion for eponym that I heard recently on a rerun of the TV show NUMB3RS:
"Now don't go all Fleinhart on me." (Fleinhart is the name of one of the characters on that show; he is portrayed as an astronomy and physics professor who is the quintessential absent-minded professor.)
- English - E.G., Saturday, August 28, 2010 at 7:40pm
Thank you Writeacher.
The reason that I thought Athens is an eponym as well as a toponym, is that in one of the sites it said that
Romulus is the eponym for Rome and Rome is an eponym for Romulus.
Thank you so much for all your help and patience. This is a fantastic site and all you teachers are magnificent!!!
- English - Writeacher, Saturday, August 28, 2010 at 7:49pm
You're very welcome, EG. =)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - I have done some extensive research on the various "-nyms", but I am ...
- English - "Athena" is an eponym and "athenian" a toponym, but is there also a "-...
- poem - I have this poem that I was working on and I used the word "derived" and ...
- English - another word for the word derived. pls help. thank you. :)
- math - 2.-The longest one-word name of any place in America is ...
- english - give the etymology of the root word : BIO and where it is derived from...
- English Grammar - What is the definition of 'two-word verb"? Would you name two-...
- Chemistry - How can you solve for a derived unit involving density? I don't know...
- English - 1. Put two scrambled word pieces together and make one complete word. ...
- English - These are the very last sentences. I really hope you can check them. ...