Posted by Jennifer on Saturday, August 28, 2010 at 6:04pm.
I did a lab in chemistry about weighing table salt and sand and mixing it with water and pouring it through a funnel.
One of my lab quetions was, What are some possible sources of error in this activity?
First of all, I don't know what this question means. Can anyone please help me?
- Chemistry - Jason, Saturday, August 28, 2010 at 6:09pm
sources of error can include human errors made by you during the experimentation or your surroundings which may have affected your outcome.
- Chemistry - Jennifer, Saturday, August 28, 2010 at 6:13pm
Could weighing the substances wrong be a source of error?
- Chemistry - Ms. Sue, Saturday, August 28, 2010 at 6:15pm
Also, did you lose anything in pouring the mixture through a funnel?
- Chemistry - MathMate, Saturday, August 28, 2010 at 6:27pm
You have not clarified what the procedure was, nor the object of the lab.
If I guessed correctly, the object is to find the percentage by weight of sand and salt in the mixture.
The sources of error could come from one or many of the following:
0. moisture in the original mixture (e.g. sea salt).
1. accuracy of the balance with which you weigh the samples.
2. Insufficient quantity of water to dissolve all the salt, or inadequate stirring that results in undissolved salt.
3. inadequate extraction of the sand from the filter paper (e.g. some sand particles remain stuck on the paper).
4. If you weigh the salt, error could result from inadequate washing of all the dissolved salt from the filter paper.
5. Human error in manipulations or calculations.
- Chemistry - Joe, Tuesday, October 18, 2011 at 5:11pm
i had the same question
Answer this Question
- chem - what effect would using fsr too much water to dissolve salt in water have...
- Biology Lab gr 12 - hi, i did this lab, from this website and I was wondering if...
- Chemistry - You are a lab technician and mix with water in order to create 250 ...
- Chemistry - You are a lab technician and must create 250 ml of a 17% salt ...
- lab equipment (chem) - Why is it that in particular experiments they say to use ...
- chemistry- lab - i need help locating a lab for regents chemistry. i have the ...
- chemistry lab repost - i need help locating a lab for regents chemistry. i have ...
- Chemistry - 1. Imagine that you work at a company that prepares chemical ...
- Biology Lab - Hey! I am doing a biology lab in which we take liver and sand and ...
- chemistry-Dr.Bob - ok for a lab we had to titrate a solution with KMnO4 and for ...