Posted by Kailey on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 11:27pm.
The disk shaped head of a pin is 1.0 mm in diameter.
Which of the following is the best estimate of the number of atoms in the layer of atoms on the top of the surface of the pinhead?
1. 10 to the 34th power
2. 10 to the 19th power
3. 10 to the 24th power
4. 10 to the 29th power
5. 10 to the 14th power
6. 10 to the 4th power
7. 10 to the 9th power
physics - drwls, Friday, August 27, 2010 at 5:57am
The pin head's volume is
V = (pi/6*D^3 = 0.5*10^3 mm^3
= 0.5*10^-3 cm^3.
Assume the pin is steel. The density is about 8 g/cm^3 and the pinhead mass is 4*10^-3 g. The mean molecular mass of the most abundant metal in the steel (iron) is 56 g/mole, so there are
4*10^-3/56 = 7*10^-5 moles in the pinhead. Multiply that by Avogadro's number for the number of atoms.
I get 4*10^19
Your nearest estimate to that is #2. (10^19)
physics - Paige, Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 12:02am
Divide area of pinhead by area of atom
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - calculate number of atoms in 4.67 mol of Ca(NO3)2 I got: 2.81 X 10^...
- Physics - The two strands of the helix-shaped DNA molecule are held together by ...
- chemistry stoichiometry - My chem teacher gave us this problem Twelve-gauge ...
- math - How do you get the answer to this problem? The Diameter of a typical ...
- Scientific Notation - The point on a pin has a diameter of about 1 * 10^-4 ...
- chem - i need to convert the following number of atoms into grams d. 1 million ...
- chemistry - Calculate the mass, in grams, of each of the following. a) 1.2×10^23...
- chemistry - How many atoms of carbon are needed to produce 0.45 mol Al? 3C + ...
- science - How many atoms of carbon are needed to produce 0.45 mol Al? 3C + ...
- chemistry - what is the mass in grams? a) 3.011 x 10^23 atoms F b)1.50 x 10^23 ...