Posted by Kendra on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:25pm.
Write the equation of a perpendicular bisector of the segment joining the points: (7,2) and (3,0).
Okay, so I don't even know what a bisector is. Is there a formula for this or something? If some could someone tell me it. Or tell me the process.
- Algebra Help - MathMate, Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:31pm
perpendicular bisector is a line that is perpendicular to a line segment (or line joining two points) and passes through the mid-point of the line segment.
For the given points A(7,2) and B(3,0),
the mid point D is given by:
The slope of line segment AB is
The slope of the perpendicular bisector
= -1/m = -(1/2)
Line passing through D and perpendicular to segment AB is
Simplify and verify.
- Algebra Help - Kendra, Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 10:35pm
Wait wouldn't that last part be y-1=1/2(x-5)
because five is the midpoint of the x's
- Algebra Help - MathMate, Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 11:30pm
Thanks for pointing it out.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra 2 - Can someone please check my answers? The question is: Write an ...
- math - A perpendicular bisector is a segment which is perpendicular to another ...
- Math - Find the equation of the perpendicular bisector of the line segment ...
- Geometry - How would you write the name of a segment differently than the name ...
- geometry - You have isosceles triangle WXY and segment WZ is the perpendicular ...
- Geometry - write the equation of the perpendicular bisector of the line segment...
- Math -Precal 11 - Show that the point P(7,7) is on the perpendicular bisector of...
- Math - 1.The midpoint of SM is (5 -11) one endpoint is S (3,5). What are the ...
- Math - 1. Determine the equation of the right bisector of the line segment E(2, ...
- fundamentals of math - A point lies on the of a line segment if and only if the ...