Posted by Jacob on Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 1:33am.
Kate cut a 100-foot rope into two pieces. One piece was 5 feet longer than 4 times the length of the other. Find the length of each piece.
Algebra - jai, Thursday, August 26, 2010 at 4:41am
first, represent the unknowns:
let x = length of the 1st piece
let 4x + 5 = length of the 2nd piece (as the second statement of the problem says)
then set-up equation:
x + (4x + 5) = 100 *total length of the two pieces must be 100 ft
5x + 5 = 100
5x = 95
x = 19 ft
4x + 5 = 81 ft
so there,, =)
Algebra - Anonymous, Sunday, October 9, 2011 at 2:45pm
Algebra - NARUTOISAWESOME, Friday, October 26, 2012 at 11:13pm
Would it be the same if u used 4 times x or it has to be 4x?
Algebra - giselle, Saturday, September 14, 2013 at 12:19pm
A 23 inch rope is cut into 4 pieces.the first piece is 3 inches longer than the other three pieces of rope .what is the length of the longest piece of rope
Algebra - Antonio Owens, Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 9:26pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - A 74-foot length of wire is to be cut into 2 pieces, so that the ...
- algebra - A 33-foot-long speaker wire is to be cut into three pieces. One piece ...
- algebra - A 49 foot pipe is cut into two pieces. If one piece has a length of y ...
- math - A 120-foot long rope is cut into 3 pieces. the first rope is twice as ...
- algebra - A 120-foot-long rope is cut into 3 pieces. The first piece of rope is ...
- Algebra - A coaxial cable 10 feet long is cut into two pieces such that the ...
- Algebra - A board 5 feet long is cut into two pieces such that the length of one...
- Math - A rope is 60 in. in length and must be cut into two pieces. If one piece ...
- math - a rope is cut into two pieces. one has a length of 37 feet. if the other...
- algebra - a 25 inch piece of a steel rod is cut into 3 pieces so that the length...