Posted by Rick on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 10:26pm.
The line through (1, 3) with slope of 1/2 (I used the point slope equation)
y-y1 = m(x-x1) y-3 = 1/2(x-1)
(work the parenthesis first)
Y = 1/2x+5/2 LCD of 2 to convert fractions into whole numbers.
2y = x+5 Answer, however I need to place it in standard form where x and y are on the same side.
2y = x+5
-x+2y=5 This should be the correct and final answer
Choices below are from the textbook, but none of the answers I come up with match any of the choices. What did I do wrong, and would you show me the steps as I have to show my work, and I can see where I made my mistake? Thanks
x-2y = 5
y = 8x-5
y = 2x+1
y = 3
- College Alegebra - Reiny, Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 10:58pm
From your Y-3=1/2x-1/2 , I would multiply each term by 2
2y - 6 = x - 1
-x + 2y = 5
x - 2y = -5
the slope of this line is 1/2
and the point (1,3) satisfies it.
- College Alegebra - drwls, Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 11:04pm
Your derivation is so full of errors that I cannot follow it at all. Most steps do not follow from the previous step.
The first thing to write down is
y - 3 = (1/2)(x - 1)
from which follows:
y = x/2 + 3 - 1/2 , and
= x/2 + 5/2
That would be the standard "y = mx + b" frm
If you want x and y on the same side,
y - x/2 = 5/2 or
2y - x = 5
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- Another simple math problem (y=mx+b) - Write an equation in slope-intercept form...
- Algebra - I'm suppose to write an equation with the following information: Line ...
- Algebra - Write the equation of the line passing through the given point with ...
- algebra - Write the equation of the line that passes through point (5, 4) with a...
- college alegebra - Can someone please help me!!!!!! Find th eequation of the ...
- math plz - hi, is there an equation to finding the perpendicular bisector of a ...
- Geometry - How do I write an equation of a line perpendicular to the graph of -...
- Math/Algebra do u know how to do slope intercept? - The following problems are ...
- math - pls check!!! - Write an equation in point-slope form for the line that ...