Posted by Riley on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 11:30am.
A man left his property to his wife, his son, his daughter, and his sister. His son and daughter got half of the property, sharing in the ratio of 4 to 3. His wife got twice as much as the daughter. If his sister received $15,000, what was the value of all of his property?
- Math - MathMate, Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 12:59pm
Son and daughter got half, in the ratio of 4 to three.
son+daughter = 1/2
son got 4/14
daughter got 3/14
Wife got twice as the daughter = 6/14
Sister got 1-(4/14+3/14+6/14) = 1/14
If 1/14 of the property was worth $15,000, the value of his estate is
- Math - Henry, Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 2:57pm
Daughter's share = x-dollars.
Wife's share = 2x-dollars.
Son's share = 4x/3-dollars.
Sister's share = 15000 dollars.
The son and daughter received 1/2 of
the property. The other 1/2 went to the
wife and sister:
x + 4x/3 = V/2 = 2x + 15000,
x + 4x/3 = 2x + 15000,
Solve for x:
x = 45000 = Daughter's share,
2x = 2 * 45000 = 90000 = Wife's share,
4x/3 = 4*45000/3 = 60000 = son's share
V/2 = 2 * 45000 + 15000 = 105000,
V = 210000 = Value of property.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- maths - a man leaves half of his property to his wife.one third to his son and ...
- Algerbra - A manís will left $75,000 to his wife, son and daughter in such a way...
- history of math - i need help. the answer is the ratio of 4:2:1. A man makes a...
- maths - A man leaves 1/2 of his property to his wife, 1/3 to his son and the ...
- math - in his will,mr.adams left 25% of his estate to his wife and unevenly ...
- college algebra - a man left 1\2 of his estate to his wife, 1\6 to his daughter...
- parents, Finances, and School-Age Children - Which one of the following groups ...
- Math - 1) Last year, Harjap spent a total of $11,348 on gasoline, oil, repairs ...
- math - Mr. Benedict left half of his estate to his wife, one-fourth to his son, ...
- Genetics biology - A man and his wife both have normal vision, but a daughter ...