Posted by Natasha on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 at 2:18pm.
2. Assume that the population proportion of adults having a college degree is 0.35. A random sample of 200 adults is to be selected to test this claim.
A) What is the shape, mean, and standard deviation of the sampling distribution of the sample proportion for samples of size 200?
B) What is the probability that the sample proportion will fall within 2% of the population proportion?
C) Answer part B if the sample size were increased to 500 adults. How does the answer to part C differ from part B, and why?
- statistics - MathGuru, Tuesday, August 17, 2010 at 9:39pm
I'll give you a few hints.
Use the approximation to the binomial distribution.
Your values are the following:
p = .35, q = 1 - p = .65, n = 200
Find mean and standard deviation.
mean = np = (200)(.35) = ?
sd = √npq = √(200)(.35)(.65) = ?
Determine two z-scores.
z = -.02/(sd/√n)
z = .02/(sd/√n)
Once you have the z-scores, you should be able to determine the probability between the two z-scores using a z-table.
For part C), just increase the sample size and recalculate.
I hope this will help get you started.
- statistics - s, Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 11:07am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- statistics - The scores of students on the ACT college entrance examination in ...
- Statistics - 1. The scores of students on the ACT college entrance examination ...
- statistics - Use the given information to find the minimum sample size required ...
- math - In a large population of adults, the mean IQ is 112 with a standard ...
- STAT - 1. In a study of the income of U.S. factory workers, a random sample of ...
- statistics - A random sample of 80 youths and a second random sample of 120 ...
- stats - This week we practice with Binomial Distribution. You can use Appendix ...
- Statistics - The body temperatures of adults are normally distributed with a ...
- statistics - A specific study found that the average number of doctor visits per...
- statistics - The Intelligence Quotient (IQ) test scores for adults are normally ...