Posted by Riley on Monday, August 16, 2010 at 2:03pm.
Hammurabiís Code listed 282 laws dealing with a variety of subjects. A few examples of these laws are listed below.
196. If a man put out the eye of another man, his eye shall be put out.
197. If he breaks another manís bone, his bone shall be broken.
198. If he put out the eye of a freed man, or break the bone of a freed man, he shall pay one [silver] mina.
199. If he put out the eye of a manís slave, or break the bones of a manís slave, he shall pay one-half of its value.
200. If a man knock out the teeth of his equal, his teeth shall be knocked out.
201. If he knock out the teeth of a freed man, he shall pay one-third of a [silver] mina.
202. If any one strike the body of a man higher in rank than he, he shall receive sixty blows with an ox-whip in public.
Based on this passage from Hammurabiís Code, in Babylonian society.
all people were treated equally.
no one owned slaves.
punishment was based on social status.
women had the same rights as men.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- World History - What was the significance of the Code of Hammurabi? The laws ...
- Social Studies - What was the purpose of Hammurabi's Code
- world history - What is Hammurabi's code on vandalism?
- History - The Twelve Tables were similar to the Code of Hammurabi and Draco's ...
- world history - What is a good grabber for an Hammurabi's Code essay???
- Honors world Cultures(history)HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!! - The Jewish legal code came ...
- world history - Why was Hammurabi's Code an important accomplishment? Wasn't it ...
- Wolrd History AP - How can u compare the 10 abominations during the Tang Dynasty...
- World History Answer Check - 1. Explain how the Code of Hammurabi influences ...
- Medical Coding ICD-9-CM - A 75-year-old male presented to the ambulatory ...