Posted by Fred on Sunday, August 15, 2010 at 9:36pm.
At the ocean, it is known that the tide follows a trigonometric path. At high tide,
the water comes in to a point 1 meter from where I placed a flag. At low tide, the
water comes in to a point 11 meters from the same flag. The time it takes from to
get from high tide to low tide is 5 hours. It is now midnight and it is high tide.
(Note: low tide=max and high tide=min in this case)
Plot the motion for two complete cycles and state a possible equation for this motion.
I have absolutely no idea where to even begin with this problem, other than the equation involves either sin(x) or cos(x). Any tips on where to start or help working out how to do this word problem would be much appreciated.
- Trigonometry - bobpursley, Sunday, August 15, 2010 at 10:13pm
assume it is
distance=Asin(wt+theta) + k
but you also know that that at t=5, half a cycle has occured, to A= (11-1)/2
11=5sin(PI + theta) + k
but sin(PI+theta)=-sinTheta so
add the equations for high tide and low tide
subtract the equations
so you have theta, A, k
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - Tides are cyclical phenomena caused by the gravitational pull of the sun ...
- science - you observe a high tide at 3:00 a.m. If it takes about 6 1/4 hours for...
- Math - The Distance from the top of a cliff to the water below ranges from 13m(...
- math - Can't figure this one out. The oceans' tide levels vary based on the ...
- Science - what would tides be like if the moon did not exist? a) There would be ...
- science help plzzz - 1. Which of the following statements best defines tides? (1...
- Science - Check my answers - 1. Which of the following statements best defines ...
- quadratic function - The depth of water in a channel between two successive low ...
- Geology - When a hurricane approches a costal area the damage from the storm ...
- Math - The height of the tide in a given location on a given day is modelled ...