Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, August 15, 2010 at 2:37pm.
When 10.0 mL of 0.012 M pb(NO3)2 is mixed with 10.0 mL of 0.030 M KI, a yellow precipitate of PbI2(s) forms.
a)Calculate the molarity of [Pb^2+]
b)Calculate the initial molarity of [I^-]
c)On measuring the equilibrium concentrations of [I^-] it came out to be 8.0 x 10^-3 M. Calculate the molarity of [I^-] precipitated.
chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, August 15, 2010 at 2:52pm
The problem looks simple enough; however, after reading and re-reading it I don't understand it at all. Do you know Ksp? Do you want the concn Pb^+2 before mixing, after mixing but before pptn of PbI2? For part b, molarity of I^- before mixing or after mixing and before or after pptn of PbI2.
For part c, if M = moles/L of soln and PbI2 is a ppt (and insoluble), how can it make sense to calculate a M?
chemistry - Anonymous, Sunday, August 15, 2010 at 2:53pm
this is what the question exactly says
chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, August 15, 2010 at 2:54pm
Do you know Ksp?
chemistry - Anonymous, Sunday, August 15, 2010 at 2:55pm
no it is not given
chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, August 15, 2010 at 3:07pm
The best I can do is leave this for another tutor. Perhaps another tutor can make sense of it. Personally, I think the problems needs to be clarified.
chemistry - HAIL NA, Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 9:47pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- SCIENCE - when 10.0 ml of .012 M PbNO32 is mixed with 10.0 ml of .030 M KI, a ...
- chemistry - When 10.0 mL of 0.012 M Pb(No3)2 is mixed with 10.0 mL of 0.030M KI...
- chemistry - A STUDENT STUDYING THE FE+3- HSCN equilibrium put into a test tube ...
- CHEMISTRY - A STUDENT STUDYING THE FE+3- HSCN equilibrium put into a test tube ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the concentrations of Cd2 +, [Cd (CN) 42] and CN at ...
- Chemistry - A cell was constructed with two lead electrodes. The electrolyte ...
- Chemistry - Determination of the solubility product of PbI2. From the ...
- chem - Determination of the solubility product of PbI2. From the experimental ...
- Chemistry - A solution of 0.200M NaOH (14.0 mL) is mixed with 42.4 mL of 0.170M ...
- Chemistry - At room temperature, 80.0 ml of 0.125 M AgNO3(aq) and 20.0 ml of 0....