Posted by Kelsey on Friday, August 13, 2010 at 8:53am.
2.00mL of 0.01 mol/L aqueous sodium sulphide is used to test a 50.omL sample of water containing 0.0005 mol/L mercury (II) nitrate ions. What mass of precipitate is formed?
Na2S + Hg(NO3)2 --- 2NaNo3 + HgS
determine limiting reactant
using limiting reactant, calculate the masimum mass of precipitate formed
- chemistry - bun, Friday, August 13, 2010 at 10:53am
mol Na2S = (0.01mol/L)*2.00ml*1L/1000mL = 0.002mol
mol Hg(NO3)2 = 50.0ml*(0.0005mol/L)*1L/1000mL = 0.000025=2.5*10^-5
Hg(NO3)2 limiting reagent
max mass of precipitate = 2.5*10^-5 * molar mass of Hg(NO3)2
- chemistry - Kelsey, Friday, August 13, 2010 at 1:15pm
I thought I was to use a formula n=cXv. I had NaS
V >01 mol/L
Therefore I got NaS as .00002. So I had Na S as the limiting reagent
- chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, August 13, 2010 at 4:27pm
moles = M x L
For Na2S, 0.01 x 0.002 = 2 x 10^-5 moles
moles Hg(NO3)2 =
0.0005 x (50/1000)= 2.5 x 10^-5 moles
Limiting reagent is Na2S. (The set up for Na2S by bun is correct but math is not; answer is 2 x 10^-5 moles and not 2 x 10^-3 moles.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - Suppose that 2.00mL of 0.02 mol/L aqueous sodium sulphide, Na2S is ...
- Chem -plz check work - suppose that 2.00 mL of 0.01 mol/L sodium sulphide is ...
- Chemistry ....Please help - If 4.55 g of sodium sulphide and 15.0 g of bismuth ...
- chemistry help plz - if 4.55 g of sodium sulphide and 15.0 g of bismuth nitrate...
- Chemistry Urgent Help - if 4.55 g of sodium sulphide and 15.0 g of bismuth ...
- chemistry - Write out the net ionic equation for: Cd(NO3)2 + Na2S -----> ...
- Chem Very Urgent - if 4.55 g of sodium sulphide and 15.0 g of bismuth nitrate ...
- Chem - What mass of precipitate is formed when 0.50 L of 2.50 mol/L aqueous ...
- Chemistry ....Please Double check - If 4.55 g of sodium sulphide and 15.0 g of ...
- chemistry - in a vessel, 0.6 mol Ba(NO3)2 and .3 mol H3PO4 are combined w ...