Posted by Winsel on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 at 10:15am.
frrom outlook tower 80ft. high, a man observes from a position 6.5ft. below the top of the tower that the angle of elevstion of the top of certain tree is 12deg40mins and the angle of depression of its base is 72deg20mins. If the base of the tower and the base of the tree are at the same level, what is the height of the tree?
Trigonometry - Henry, Tuesday, August 10, 2010 at 4:48pm
The line of sight of the 72 deg angle
is represented by the hyp. of a rt triangle. The ht. of the observer above
the bottom of tree represents the ver.
side of the triangle.The hor. side is
the dist. from the tree to the bottom
of tower.The line of sight of the 12
deg. angle is the hyp of a 2nd rt.
triangle. Its' hor. side is = to hor.
side of 1st triangle.
Tan(72,20min) = 73.5 / X,
X = 73.5 / Tan(72,20min) = 23.41 Ft.
= hor. dist. from tree to tower.
Tan(12,40min) = Y / 23.41 ,
Y = 23.41 * Tan(12,40min) = 5.26 Ft
= ver. side of 2nd triangle.
h = 73.5 - 5.26 = 68.2 Ft. = ht.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- trigonometry - From lookout tower 80ft. high, a man observes from a position 6.5...
- math - From a lookout tower 80 ft. high, a man observes from a position 6.5 ft. ...
- Math - from a lockout tower 25 meters high, a man observes from a position 1.70 ...
- Math - 1. A rangers tower is located 44m from a tall tree. From the top of the ...
- math trigonometry - two office towers are 31 m apart. From the top of the ...
- Math! - From the top of a 40m fire tower, a fire ranger observes smoke in tower ...
- math - two office towers are 31 m apart. From the top of the shorter tower, the ...
- Trigonometry - At a point on the ground 125 ft from the base of a tower, the ...
- trig - Two office towers are 43m apart. From the top of the shorter tower, the ...
- Trig - Bob the ranger is atop a fire tower that i son the side of a mountain.The...