Posted by nancy on Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 11:54am.
______ and _____ have been to class.
a) He, me
b) He, I
c) Him, I
I chose a)He and me
but a friend told me she thinks
c)Him and I sounds better.
Now I'm doubting myself...
- English - Writeacher, Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 11:56am
Nope, neither is correct. Sorry!!
He and I -- they are both pronouns that can be used as subjects. (Him and me are pronouns that can be used only as objects.)
- English - Writeacher, Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 11:59am
One way to truly hear the correct pronoun is to try saying the sentence with only one of the pronouns at a time.
Would you say, "Me has been to class" or "Him has been to class"?
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/pronouns1.htm (Read about personal pronouns here.)
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/cases.htm (Again, scroll down and read about personal pronouns.)
- English - nancy, Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 12:01pm
He and I have been to class was
the correct answer
I will remember it for next time : (
- English - nancy, Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 12:04pm
"try saying the sentence with only one of the pronouns at a time."
Best tip ever!! : )
- English - Writeacher, Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 3:58pm
This is a difficult lesson for many English speakers! You'll hear the errors all the time, in casual speech and on TV and just about everywhere. If you can learn it now and practice it always, you'll be ahead of the "game"!!
Answer this Question
- Quick english help - Please check each of my answers from these short stories in...
- English - June Walters, along with her friend, __________ baked some delicious ...
- English - The team ___ won the game is my favorite. a)that b)who c)whom I chose ...
- English - 1. I have a friend who goes biking many times. 2. I have a friend who ...
- english - The poor woman had some _______(happy) days. Hari is the _____ (idle) ...
- Grammar - Fill in the sentences with adverbs. Do not repeat. 1.______ my friend ...
- Math? - Hola i need help with this problem I got all confused with the letters A...
- english - And no matter how(5)______(benign)my manner, she seemed to view me as ...
- English - ______ and______ have been to class a. He, me b. He,I c.him, m d.him, ...
- social studies - the appalachian mountain extend north from the united states ...