Posted by charlie on Friday, July 30, 2010 at 11:17am.
I have to find the relationship between these sequences, and express a generality. Could you help please.
1 + 3 + 5 + 3 + 1 = 3^2 + 2^2
1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 9 + 7 + 5+ 3 + 1 = 5^2 + 4^2
1 + 3 + 1 = 2^2 + 1^2
I'm thinking sum of consecutive primes can be expressed in squares? The numbers add up. What's the generality?
- Math - Reiny, Friday, July 30, 2010 at 11:44am
First of all, did you know that the sum of the first n odd numbers is n^2 ?
1+3+5+7+9+11 = 6^2 = 36
So when you look at your sequences, they are actually made up of the addition of the sum of n odd number plus the addition of (n-1) odd numbers
notice your second is actually
(1+3+5+7+9) + (1+3+5+7) = 5^2 + 4^2
If you know how to express sigma notation you could do
sigma(2i-1) from i=1 to n + sigma(2i-1) from 1 to n-1 = n^2 - (n-1)^2
- correction - maths - Reiny, Friday, July 30, 2010 at 11:50am
last line should have said :
sigma(2i-1) from i=1 to n + sigma(2i-1) from 1 to n-1 = n^2 + (n-1)^2
- Math - charlie, Friday, July 30, 2010 at 12:00pm
Yes, I spotted that it dosen't work for any run of primes, but it does up to 9. I'm afraid i don't really follow your explanation!
An answer for dummies maybe?
- Math - Reiny, Friday, July 30, 2010 at 12:40pm
ok, look at this patters
sum of 1 odd number = 1 = 1^2
sum of 2 odd numbers = 1+3 = 4 = 2^2
sum of 3 odd numbers = 1+3+5 = 9 = 3^2
sum of 4 odd numbers = 1+3+5+7 = 16 = 4^2
sum of n odd numbers = 1+3+...+ (2n-1) = n^2
( 2n-1) is the general expression for an odd number.
this has nothing to do with primes.
Why do you say it works only up to 9, it works for the sum of odd numbers up to any value you want.
1+3+5+7+9+11+13+15+17+19 = 10^2 = 100.
They were the first 10 odd numbers.
now look again at your second example of
=1+3+5+7+9 + (1+3+5+7)
= sum of first 5 odd numbers + sum of the first 4 odd numbers
= 5^2 + 4^2
Answer this Question
- Math Ms. Sue please - 7. Which of the following types of information is NOT ...
- math (please check answer) - Which of the following types of information is NOT ...
- Math - I'm learning series and sequences (grade 11). Please check that my steps ...
- pre calc - given x=t^2 and y=t-2 find a relationship between x amd y( express y ...
- math help please - Which of the following types of information is suited for ...
- Biology - When making comparison of sequences where some are whole genome ...
- Math - Which of the following types of information is NOT suited for display on ...
- Math - 1) Describe the relationships you discovered in the Fibonacci sequences. ...
- Math - Consider all 3-term geometric sequences with first term 1 and with common...
- MATH!!!! SEQUENCES!!! - Find out a formula for the Nth term of each of the ...