Posted by Stuck on Thursday, July 29, 2010 at 8:45pm.
"A workman sitting on top of a roof of a house drops his hammer. The roof is smooth and slopes at an angle of 30.0 degrees to the horizon. It is 32m long and its lowest point is 32m from the ground. How far from the house's wall is the hammer when it hits the ground?" (28m)
I thought I would firstly find the acceleration of the hammer down the roof.
ma = Fgx
a = (9.81)(sin30) = 4.905
Using the acceleration, I found the final velocity at the roof.
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad
Vf^2 = 0 + 2(4.905)(32)
However, is the initial velocity 0?
After I found Vf, I used that as the initial velocity to find the time it would take for the hammer to fall to the ground, and then used that time to find the horizontal distance. I don't get the answer though...am I even doing this correctly?
- Physics - bobpursley, Thursday, July 29, 2010 at 9:13pm
Your Vf (velocity at the edge) is correct. However, now you have to break that into a horizonal velocity, and a vertical velocity.
horizontal component=sin30*sqrt( )
vertical component= cos30*sqrt( )
now you can find the time down...
32=verticalcompnent*t+1/2 g t^2 solve for t.
then, horizonal distance= vhorizontal component*t
- Physics - Damon, Thursday, July 29, 2010 at 9:17pm
I would use energy to get the speed at the roof edge.
(1/2) m v^2 = m g * 32 sin 30
v^2 = 9.81 * 64 (.5) = 313.9
v = 17.7 m/s which agrees with you so far
However now you have two problems, a horizontal problem and a vertical problem.
The horizontal speed is 17.7 cos 30 = 15.3 m/s and remains constant
The initial vertical speed down is 17.7 sin 30 = 8.85
32 = 8.85 t + .5*9.81 t^2
solve that for t
then distance horizontal = 8.85 t
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - A large building has an inclined roof. The length of the roof is 69.5 ...
- Southern Union - A large building has an inclined roof. The length of the roof ...
- trigonometry - A carpenter is building a house. He is constructing the roof. The...
- Physics - A snowball off a roof that slopes downward at an angle of 40degrees. ...
- College Physics - A snowball off a roof that slopes downward at an angle of ...
- Physics - A hammer slides down a roof that makes a 40.0 degree angle with the ...
- two dimensional kinematics - A hammer slides down a roof of angle theta (with ...
- physics - a worker lays a rubber handled 0.500kg hammer down a sloped roof. it ...
- math - Malcom designed the roof plan of a house and implement shed. The ...
- Physics - After delivering his toys in the usual manner, Santa decides to have ...