Posted by rick on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 9:45pm.
propanoic acid ch3ch2cooh is a weak acid which has a value for dissociation content of ka = 6.3 x 10^-6 calculate the pH of an aqueous solution of propanoic acid containing 37 g of propanoic acid per litre.
i'm stumbled on this one.. i calculated that the concentration of the propanoic acid is .635 mol/L but i dont know what to do after.. do i just do -log(.635)?? thanks for any help!
- chemistry - rick, Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 10:28pm
someone? anyone? help!
- chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 10:32pm
Not quite. Let's call propionic acid (Propanoic acid) HPr to avoid all that typing.
HPr ==> H^+ + Pr^-
K = (H^+)(Pr^-)/(HPr)
Now, we have 37 g HPr/L which is 37/74 = 0.50 mole/L = 0.50 M.
Set up an ICE chart.
(H^+) = x
(Pr^-) = x
(HPr) = 0.5-x
Substitute into Ka expression and solv for (H^+). My answer is 0.00177 M. Then pH = -log(1.77 x 10^-3) and round to 3 s.f. for about 2.75 but you need to confirm all of that.
- chemistry - rick, Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 10:37pm
thank you very much. i did 47/74 instead of 37/74. I knew the steps to answer the question but the confusing part was forming the balanced equation because i didn't know how to do it and the question didn't offer one. May I ask how you got that? how do you know that H+ when balanced has the same amount of moles as ch3ch2cooh?
- chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 11:25pm
First, you need to remember that ch2ch2cooh doesn't mean a thing to a chemist.
CH3CH2COOH is the formula for propanoic acid. It is the last H on the right hand side of the formula that is the acidic hydrogen. All of the others are glued onto their respective C atoms and they aren't going anywhere. In organic chemistry, the -COOH group is acidic because the H can ionize. Most of the COOH compounds are relatively weak acids. So we write RCOOH to show any organic acid. I just used the right hand H as H and stuck Pr on for the R(the rest of the molecule) because it is so much easier to write HPr than
CH3CH2COOH ==> CH3CH2COO^- + H^+.
- chemistry - rick, Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 4:13am
Thank you sooo much!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Need help with AP chemistry, specifically Acids and Bases The acid ...
- Chemistry - A 50.0 mL sample of 0.23 M propanoic acid, CH3CH2COOH, a weak ...
- Bio Chem - The pKa of propanoic acid (propionic acid), CH3CH2COOH, is 4.87. ...
- chemistry - A lab technician tests a 0.100 mol/L solution of propanoic acid and ...
- Chemistry - In lab, we were finding the distribution coefficient for propanoic ...
- chemistry - For 0.100 M of weak acid (propanoic acid HPr) the Ka is given by 1....
- Chemistry, #5 - For propanioic acid, HC3H5O2, Ka=1.3 x 10^-5, determine the ...
- Grade 12 Chemistry - Caprytic acid, also called octanoic acid, is an 8-carbon ...
- Chemistry - Caprytic acid, also called octanoic acid, is an 8-carbon fatty acid ...
- Chemistry - Write balanced equations that describe the following reactions. (Use...