Posted by David on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 2:30pm.
A compound on heating gives a crackling sound, a reddish fume, and a gas which relights a glowing splint. the residue is reddish brown when hot and yellow when cold. What are- 1. the compound? 2. the fume 3. the gas
4. the residue?
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 3:36pm
Not much to go on here.
My best guess is
compound is Hg(NO3)2
fume is NO2
gas is NO2 AND O2
residue is HgO/Hg(NO3)2/Hg mixture although the Hg may be driven off at an elevated temperature.
HgO is the right color at the two temperatures (hot and cold), NO2 is reddish-brown fume, O2 will relight an extinguished glowing splint.
Hg(NO3)2 --> HgO + NO2 step 1
2HgO ==> 2Hg + O2 step 2
Chemistry - Eze Nnaemeka, Thursday, December 22, 2011 at 1:42pm
Equetion for reaction Pb(NO3)2----> PbO + O2 + NO2 (1) Pb(NO3)2 (2) NO2 (3) O2 (4) PbO
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - A compound F on heating give a cracking sound and G give a reddish ...
- chemistry - which acid produces brown fume on heating?
- Read Y9 chemistry - 4. Lead dioxide gives off a gas when heated. The gas ...
- Chemistry - why shold you heat the evaporating dish containing the contents to ...
- Science - You paint a reddish brown board yellow.Have any properties of the wood...
- Science (ASAP) - You paint a reddish brown board yellow.Have any properties of ...
- Chemistry - why should heating a content containing Zn and HCl be heated in fume...
- chemistry - A student added some bromine (reddish orange) in some carbon tertra ...
- chemistry - potassium-a metal that catches fire whet it reacts with water, ...
- Chemistry - A student added some bromine (reddish orange) in some carbon ...