Posted by Keisha on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 11:08am.
Democracy is a noble goal; it is important, however, to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority.
1. Simple Sentence
2. Compound Sentence
3. Complex Sentence
4. Compound-Complex Sentence
- English - Writeacher, Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 11:13am
Which do you think it is? Why?
- english - Keisha, Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 11:23am
I'm think it's a complex sentence because it has an independent clause a dependent clause and the subordinator- however but i'm not sure
- english - Keisha, Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 11:28am
Does compound- complex mean it has a independent clause, dependent clause, subordinator and conjuction?
- english - Writeacher, Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 11:33am
Compound = 2 independent clauses, joined correctly
Complex = 2 independent clause + at least 1 dependent clause
Compound-complex = 2 independent clauses, joined correctly + at least 1 dependent clause
I see only two clauses here, joined by the semicolon. I don't see any dependent clauses.
- English - Writeacher, Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 11:36am
"However" is not a subordinating conjunction. Here is a good list:
There is no dependent clause because both clauses could stand as independent sentences:
Democracy is a noble goal.
It is important, however, to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority.
What type of sentence is the original?
- english - Keisha, Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 11:40am
Ohhhh the semicolon takes the place of the conjuction. So it would be a compound sentence?
- english - Writeacher, Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 11:41am
- english - Keisha, Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 11:43am
Thanks can you help with somemore lol?
- English - Writeacher, Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 11:49am
Sure. I'll be gone for the rest of the morning (I'm in Central time), but please post your questions. If I'm not here to answer, there are at least three other teachers who are well versed in English grammar who can help.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English-Grammar - Although he was born in Scotland, he became a hero of the ...
- English - I was not surprised when I learned that. Identify the sentence... ...
- English - After all, I have always been a night owl, and I prefer moonlight to ...
- English - My name, Cynthia, is from a Greek word for moon. Identify the term the...
- English - A sentence that consists of two or more main clauses and no ...
- English - Writeteacher - 39. Without her cat in her lap, she felt alone during ...
- English-Grammar - After the war, American shipping became vulnerable to attacks ...
- English-Grammar - John Paul Jones moved to America to avoid a trial that ...
- english - 5.Unless my girlfriend postpones her visit from Calgary, I will not ...
- English - Would the sentence below be: SIMPLE, COMPLEX, COMPOUND, or COMPOUND ...