Posted by Anonymous on Monday, July 26, 2010 at 4:57pm.
which of these elements-Na, Si, Cl, or Cs- has:
a)the highest first ionization energy?
b)the smallest radius?
c)the most metallic character?
Chem 11 - DrBob222, Monday, July 26, 2010 at 5:30pm
I would go with Cl for a and b.
Cs for c.
Chem 11 - Anonymous, Monday, July 26, 2010 at 5:34pm
how do you know?
Chem 11 - DrBob222, Monday, July 26, 2010 at 5:49pm
a. radius generally decreases [within the same period(row)] from left to right because electrons are being added to the same shell but the nuclear charge is increasing. All except Cs are in the same period
b. smaller radius and higher nuclear charge means harder to pull the outside electron away (first ionization potential).
c. The most electropositive element in the table is in the lower left corner; the most electronegative element is at the top right (don't count the noble gases). .
Chem 11 - Anonymous, Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 6:41pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- CHEM - Which of the following elements has the highest first ionization energy? ...
- chem - order the elements Mg, K, Ca, S according to second ionization energy I ...
- Chemistry - Which trends are observed when the elements in Period 3 on the ...
- chemistry final-urgent - Choose the element with the highest ionization energy ...
- Chemistry - Suppose that a PES experiment is performed in which mercury vapor is...
- Chem - Which group shows the correct order of first ionization energy? Ca > ...
- Chem - Arrange these elements P, Mg, N, Br, K in increasing metallic character
- chemistry - Hi, my question: The first five ionization energies of three ...
- Chemistry - Doing some homework, are my answers right? HCN= Polar HCOOH= Polar ...
- Chemistry - Rank the elements Ca, As, K, Br from highest to lowest first ...