Posted by Bobby on Saturday, July 24, 2010 at 12:39pm.
The standard heat of formation of solid ammonium nitrate. NH4NO3 is -330kJ/mol. The equation that represents this process is:
a) N2(g)+ 4H2(g)+3O2(g)->NH4NO3+ 330kJ
b) 2N(g)+ 4H(g)+ 3O(g)-> NH4NO3+ 330kJ
c) NH4(g)+ NO3(g)-> NH4NO3+ 330kJ
d) 0.5N2(g)+ 2H2(g)+ 1.5O2(g)-> NH4NO3+ 330kJ
e) N2(g)+ 2H2(g)+ 1.5O2(g)-> NH4NO3+ 330kJ
Can somebody help me out and explain this question. I think its between c and d because the rest aren't balanced.
Chemistry - Bobby, Saturday, July 24, 2010 at 12:42pm
Forgot to add that c) has a + ion on NH4
and a -ion on NO3
Chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, July 24, 2010 at 1:03pm
The heat of formation is the heat (released or absorbed) when a mole of substance is formed (in it's standard state) from its elements (in their standard states).
Therefore, c is eliminated immediately. It uses ions and not elements.
a is not balanced.
b is no go because neither H nor O are in their standard states (should be H2 and O2)
d is not balanced.
That leaves only e. Is it OK?
e is balanced. The elements are in their standard states (don't worry about the fraction for 3/2 O2. The 3/2 makes O atoms balance and O2 is in the standard state. The fraction is ok. Finally, the problem states delta H is -330 kJ/mol which means heat is released and the + 330 kJ/mol on the end means heat is released. So e is the correct answer.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - When a 3.90-g sample of solid ammonium nitrate dissolves in 60.0 g ...
- chem - (a) When a 4.75-g sample of solid ammonium nitrate dissolves in 60.0 g of...
- college chemistry-thermochemistry - A 1.50g sample of NH4NO3(s) is added to 35....
- chemistry - LAST QUESTION: When solid NH4NO3 decomposes, a mixture of gases is ...
- chemistry - The Kb of ammonia is 1.8 x 10–5. What is the percent ionization of a...
- chemistry - What is the ∆G for the following reaction under standard ...
- Chemistry - Write the equation for the dissolution of NH4NO3 in water. If 4.98 ...
- Chemistry - The molar heat of solution of NH4NO3 is 25.7 kJ/mol. How much heat (...
- Chemsitry - What is the ∆G for the following reaction under standard ...
- Chemistry - Write the equation for the dissolution of NH4NO3 in water. If 5.95 ...