Posted by M.A. on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 at 8:49am.
The sum of the first X consecutive even numbers is 930. Find X.
Explain your solution.
- math..solve for X - Reiny, Tuesday, July 20, 2010 at 10:14am
so we want
2 + 4 + 6 + ... = 930
this is an arithmetic series where
a=2 , d=2 , n = ?
n/2[2a + (n-1)d) = 930
n/2[4 + (n-1)(2)] = 930
n^2 + n - 930 = 0
(n+31)(n-30) = 0
n = 30 or n=-31, but n has to be a positive whole number.
there were 30 terms
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- sum - The sum of the first X consecutive even numbers is 930. Find X.
- Math - The sum of three consecutive even numbers is 36. If x represents the ...
- math - Three consecutive even numbers have a sum between 84 and 96. a. Write an ...
- math - consecutive even integers can be represented by x,x+2,x+4 and so on. ...
- math - the sum of five consecutive numbers is 28 more than the sum of the third ...
- Math - 1.(A)(i)Show that 2+4+6+8+..+2n=n(n+1). (ii)Find the sum of the first 200...
- Algebra 2 - write an equation to solve the problem. find three consecutive even ...
- Math - When you solve questions like "The sum of 3 consecutive integers is 147. ...
- Math - The sum of the squares of three consecutive whole numbers is 77. Form a ...
- MATH - The sum of three whole numbers is 193. The smaller two are consecutive ...