Posted by katrina on Monday, July 19, 2010 at 3:58pm.
1/2a-5=1/3a-1 please show me how to set this problem up and solve it
math - Henry, Monday, July 19, 2010 at 4:16pm
1. Multiply both sides of Eq. by 6.
2.Subtract 2a from both sides of Eq.
3. Add 30 to each side of Eq.
4. Solve for a.
math - Quidditch, Monday, July 19, 2010 at 4:25pm
For this type of problem, try to get just the variable on one side and just the numbers on the other side.
(1/2)a - 5 = (1/3)a - 1
Add 5 to both sides to get rid of the number on the left.
(1/2)a - 5 + 5 = (1/3)a - 1 + 5
(1/2)a = (1/3)a + 4
Now subtract (1/3)a from both sides to get rid of the variable on the right side:
(1/2)a - (1/3)a = (1/3)a - (1/3)a + 4
using a common denominator of 6...
(3/6)a - (2/6)a = 4
(1/6)a = 4
multiply both sides by 6
a = 24
Substitute 24 for a in the original problem to check.
math - Reiny, Monday, July 19, 2010 at 5:34pm
I know both tutors above solved the problem correctly according to the way you typed it, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you meant to type
1/(2a-5) = 1/(3a-1)
cross-multiply to get
3a - 1 = 2a - 5
a = -4
if the equation is as you typed it, then ignore my reply.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - I cannot solve the problem please help me. I'm suppose to set the ...
- Engineering - What is the critical buckling force that will buckle a 9 foot tall...
- math - Can someone please help me with this math problem. My teacher is looking ...
- math-please help,need quickly - solve the polynomial inequality and graph the ...
- math - 2. Simplify. Please be sure to show all of your work. -3(-9) – |-5 – 3 3...
- geometry - show that the points A(-4,2) B(1,4) C(3,-1) D(-2,-3) are verticies of...
- math - i don't get how to do this problem mrs. sue please help how would you ...
- Math - Solve for x: x^4-15X^2+14=0 How would I solve this problem? Could someone...
- Algebra Problem - I've gotten confunsed. Please help. Solve: 2y-a = a + 3b ____ ...
- math - solve the polynomial inequality and graph the solution set on a real ...