Posted by Anth on Monday, July 12, 2010 at 7:34pm.
For fluoracetic acid the highest Boltzmann distribution is when the dihedral angle is at 0 degrees. However, going from chloro- to bromoacetic acid, an increasing dip in the Boltzmann distribution occurs at 0 degrees. What is responsible for this "dip?" (HINT: look at how the structure of the molecule changes as the halogen atom rotates around toward the hydrogen atom attached to the oxygen atom.)
A. Increasing halogen atom size.
B. Decreasing acid strength.
C. Shortening of the C-C bond.
D. Increasing electronegativity.
E. Higher dipole values going from F to Cl to Br.
- Chemistry - Cecily, Monday, November 1, 2010 at 8:47pm
its not decreasing acid strength
and its not increasing electronegativity
- Chemistry - sam, Monday, November 1, 2010 at 8:49pm
- Chemistry - sam, Monday, November 1, 2010 at 8:50pm
my bad answers changed. it's increasing halogen atom size.
- Chemistry - Cloud, Sunday, May 1, 2011 at 12:19pm
Yep, increasing halogen atom size. Thanks. =)
- Chemistry - chem student, Monday, July 11, 2011 at 5:52pm
increasing halogen atom size is correct
- Chemistry - chemmm, Monday, October 31, 2011 at 7:10pm
increasing halogen size :)
- Chemistry - chemlab, Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 2:11am
increasing halogen size is right! :)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry lab - 1) What does a high Boltzmann Distribution value indicate? (...
- lab chemistry please help! - 1. You recorded maximum electrostatic potential ...
- chemistry - what is the molecular geometry of IO3- when the angle is 105 degrees...
- chemistry - What does a high Boltzmann Distribution value indicate?
- Chemistry - What does a high Boltzmann Distribution value indicate??
- stat - Which of the following statements is true about the t-distribution with k...
- chemistyr - What is the mathematical relationship between Boltzmann distribution...
- AP Statistics - As the degrees of freedom for the t-distribution increase, the ...
- Statistics - As the degrees of freedom for the t-distribution increase, the ...
- Chemistry - The titration of a 50.0 mL solution of the monoprotic bromoacetic ...