Posted by Sam on Monday, July 12, 2010 at 6:10am.
In a previous
experiment, 0.800 g of the green complex iron salt was placed in an Erlenmeyer flask and
heated with concentrated sulfuric acid until all oxalate ion was destroyed (CO2, SO2 and
H2O are formed). Ferric ion (Fe3+) remained in solution and was reduced to Fe2+ by reaction
with Al wire. The ferrous ion (Fe2+) was then titrated with KMnO4 solution according to
equation (2) and 32.60 mL of 0.0100 M permanganate solution was required to reach the
endpoint. The blank required 0.03 mL of the permanganate solution. Find the mass % of
iron in the complex salt.
Chemistry - Sam, Monday, July 12, 2010 at 6:11am
Equation 2 is Fe2+ (aq) + MnO4
–(aq) Fe3+(aq) + Mn2+(aq)
Concentration of KMnO4 is 0.0082003124
Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, July 12, 2010 at 4:49pm
moles KMnO4 = M x L
Using the coefficients in the balanced equation, convert moles KMnO4 to moles Fe^+2.
Convert moles Fe to grams. grams = moles x molar mass.
%Fe = (g Fe/0.8)*100 = ??
NOte that there is a blank of 0.03 mL; therefore, the volume of KMnO4 is 32.60 mL - 0.03 mL and convert that answer to L for the M x L equation above. Note also that the Fe + KMnO4 equation above is not balanced.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - In a previous experiment, 0.800 g of the green complex iron salt was...
- Chemistry - Kc is 1.67 × 1020 at 25°C for the formation of iron(III) oxalate ...
- Chemistry - With the mass percent of Fe, oxalate ion, and water; find the mass ...
- chemistry - The net ionic equations for the following 1. Dissolution of silver ...
- Chemistry - Suppose you want a mixture that contains 2.5 grams of iron ion and ...
- Chemistry - EQUILIBRIUM: To prepare the standard solution, a very large ...
- Chemistry - Suppose that you wanted to be sure that a metal ion, any metal ion, ...
- chemistry - Suppose that you wanted to be sure that a metal ion, any metal ion, ...
- chemistry - The formate ion, (CHO2-), is related to the acetate ion and forms ...
- Chemistry - When hot and concentrated, sulfuric acid is a fairly strong ...