Posted by G on Thursday, July 8, 2010 at 6:13pm.
The area of a rectangle is 24, and its diagonal is radical 52. Find its dimensions and perimeter.
Longer side = ?
Shorter side = ?
Perimeter = ?
math - drwls, Thursday, July 8, 2010 at 8:12pm
Let the dimensions be a and b.
ab = 24
a^2 + b^2 = 52
a^2 + (24/a)^2 = 52
a^4 -52a^2 + 576 = 0
(a^2 -36)(a^2 -16)
a^2 = 36 or 16
a = 6 or 4
b = 4 or 6
math - Sara, Thursday, July 8, 2010 at 9:11pm
math - Henry, Thursday, July 8, 2010 at 11:19pm
Let X and Y represent the sides of
X^2 + Y^2 = 52 = diagonal squared.
XY = 24 =the area of rectangle.
y = 24/X
X^2 + (24/X)^2 = 52
X^2 +576/X^2 = 52
Multiply both sides by x^2 :
X^4 + 576 = 52X^2
X^4 - 52X^2 + 576 = 0. used computer to
help find roots: X = -4, X = 4, X = -6,
X = 6. Select the positive roots:
The sides are 4 and 6. P = (2*4) +(2*6)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - A square has the same area as a rectangle whose longer side is 2 times ...
- Math - Find the Maximum area for the given perimeter of a rectangle. State the ...
- grade 6 math - The shorter side of a rectangle is 20 m. Decreasing the longer ...
- Geometry - A diagonal of a square has the same length as a diagonal of a ...
- Geometry - A rectangle has the same perimeter as a square. If the area of the ...
- Pre-Cal - The diagonal and the longer side of a rectangle make an angle of 43.2...
- algabra 2 - One side of a triangle is 4 cm longer than the shortest side and 2 ...
- Math - Checking my son's homework and want to see if he figured this out ...
- Math - Abigail Adventuresome took a shortcut along the diagonal of a rectangular...
- geometryproblems - one side of the triangular banner is 1 1/2 times longer than ...