Posted by Ashley on Wednesday, July 7, 2010 at 7:28pm.
Effectively interpreting symbols in a poem requires _____.
A. a degree in English
B. knowledge about the time period and author as well as evidence from the poem
C. Internet research to see what other people have said about the poem
D.rhythm and meter to make the symbols lyrical
- Literature HELP!! - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, July 7, 2010 at 7:36pm
Which answer do you think is best?
- Literature HELP!! - Ashley, Wednesday, July 7, 2010 at 7:52pm
Honestly, I don't know that's why I am asking you to help me understand.
- Literature HELP!! - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, July 7, 2010 at 8:03pm
Obviously, A is not the answer. I assume you don't have a degree in English, but your teacher expects you to have some knowledge of symbols in poetry.
Symbols vary from time and place. Understanding the time period and location of the poem, as well as the poet's background will certainly help interpret poetic symbols.
People have been interpreting poetic symbols since long before the Internet.
Rhyme and meter have nothing to do with symbols in poetry.
- Literature HELP!! - Writeacher, Wednesday, July 7, 2010 at 8:25pm
I agree with Ms. Sue's analysis. I don't think any of those answers are right!
Where's "none of the above"?
- Literature HELP!! - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, July 7, 2010 at 8:29pm
I'm sorry I was confusing. I think B is the best answer.
- Literature HELP!! - Ashley, Wednesday, July 7, 2010 at 8:49pm
Thank you for the help ..
- Literature HELP!! - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, July 7, 2010 at 9:03pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Bret Harte "Plain Language from Truthful James" 1. What was the major ...
- English - Can someone help me with these questions please. Bret Harte "Plain ...
- English - I need help interpreting the poem "I Never Saw Another Butterfly" by ...
- English/Literature/Poetry (Writeacher) - Have you read the poem called "Problems...
- English - Anne Bradstreet's "The Author to Her Book" I have to explain the irony...
- Literature - This has to do with the question I asked yesterday-- From the poem...
- British Literature - What evidence indicates that Andrew Marvell's poem "To His ...
- english - Which of the following statements BEST explains why "I Am Offering ...
- English - I don't understand this poem. Well, I understad the first part until ...
- The writer by Richard Wilbur Poem - Could you please help me I have no idea what...